IGNORED

lowering 76 280z

rzkas

Raz,

Welcome to the site! Try using our search function, it has loads of info worth reviewing......and, an answer regarding your question. As one might imagine , this is a pretty common question. Happy hunting!

Tom

• 2 years later...

People act like its so hard to answer a question. From what i've read the eibach spring kits actually will raise the height of your car, due to your stock springs being old and worn out. Strut sectioning along with aftermarket springs seems to be the best way to go if you want to lower your z. I hate to quote something off of hybrid but here it is.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/38589-strut-sectioning-faq/

i put the eibach springs on my 280 and it lowered it an inch. I've read in a couple of places about it raising the car, but I've not actually seen any physical proof and anyone who has actually posted pictures of their car or taken measurements it was at least 1" lower. I think the "raising the car" rumor is BS.

And those OEM struts are worn out and garbage on the 280. I would definitely put some new inserts in there. If you don't want the tokico's and are looking for a soft setup, at least get some oem replacement cartridges from the local parts store and put them in while you are in there.

Edited by cozye

People act like its so hard to answer a question. From what i've read the eibach spring kits actually will raise the height of your car, due to your stock springs being old and worn out. Strut sectioning along with aftermarket springs seems to be the best way to go if you want to lower your z. I hate to quote something off of hybrid but here it is.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/38589-strut-sectioning-faq/

Who's acting like the question is hard to answer? More like not one really cared about such a vague/unresearched question back in 2008. The thread was dead for over two and a half years until you posted your anecdotal advice and a link to hybridz neither of which really answer the question either.:ermm:

i put the eibach springs on my 280 and it lowered it an inch. I've read in a couple of places about it raising the car, but I've not actually seen any physical proof and anyone who has actually posted pictures of their car or taken measurements it was at least 1" lower. I think the "raising the car" rumor is BS.

And those OEM struts are worn out and garbage on the 280. I would definitely put some new inserts in there. If you don't want the tokico's and are looking for a soft setup, at least get some oem replacement cartridges from the local parts store and put them in while you are in there.

There is a hair of truth to the statement Cozye. I don't have pictures but, when I did the eibach spring and tikico strut update to the Z the front was lowered about an inch yes but the rear raised 1/8 of an inch. Both me and my friend who helped me do the update were astonished. We were worried that, because of my oversized rear tires, the spring would lower the car too much. Well it didn't. It actually confused the two of us for a bit.

I'm going to have to say that it depends on the condition of your previous suspension parts. Mine were 34+ years old and were no longer really doing anything but taking up space (I was able to move the struts in and out by hand very easily).

Jan

First, I agree with pointing him to the search section, then invite questions after he's done some research. That approach has worked well for me.

From what I've read, gas shocks will tend to push-up, providing less lowering than hydraulic shocks with the same springs.

I installed the eibach springs with tokico blues on my 240Z. Back springs lowered the car about 3/4". The fronts did not lower at all. Turned-out I was sent the 280 front springs... I just used a dremel tool and carbide cutting wheels to trim the front springs one coil. Problem solved. No obvious negative effects on handling and the car rides fine. Over the small bumbs, much different ride quality than the stock springs.

One caution: Going with the heavier MSA front sway bar did make the ride noticably harsher. She corners much flatter, so from the driver's seat, it was a good trade-off.