IGNORED

My little weekend project, fixing up and painting a valve cover

76Datsun280z

I had an extra valve cover in the garage that wasn't to pretty, so I thought I'd fix it up as best I could to get it back to looking stock and thought it would make a fun little weekend project. It was pretty oily and greasy along with what appeared to be some oxidation on the outside. I degreased the inside of it with engine degreaser with small wire brushes and got the inside looking much cleaner and then flushed it out thoroughly. I then wet sanded the outside of it with 1000 grit sand paper to clean up the oxidation and smooth everything out. I painted it with Dupli color engine enamel, the closest match that I could find to be original.

Any how, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to replace my polished one with it or not. After a few more coats, I think I'll put it on and see how I like it.

dscn0252ir2.jpg

dscn0261pa9.jpg

dscn0262nd1.jpg

dscn0265eu4.jpg

This is the one that's on my car now.

Which one do you think would be the better looking one on it?

Very Nice!

I have a polished cover, (on the car), that came with mine, but I think I like the painted look better! Do you plan to clear coat it?

I also have an old oxidized one, (off the car), and may duplicate what you have done. "Imitation is the sicerest form of flattery".

Very Nice!

I have a polished cover, (on the car), that came with mine, but I think I like the painted look better! Do you plan to clear coat it?

I also have an old oxidized one, (off the car), and may duplicate what you have done. "Imitation is the sicerest form of flattery".

Thanks!

I was thinking today it would be fun to clear coat it, but I don't think I am.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but that's just the process that I did and was glad with the way it turned out.