IGNORED

Low Mileage Series I on Ebay

lonetreesteve

First I need to thank Mike B for pointing me to this thread, Second I would like to apologize to anyone who I might have offended with my comments to Jerry...I had no idea that I was speaking to you all (Just Jerry) and I had no idea that I could learn so much from this forum. Next I think I need to take some time and explain where I was/am coming from with this car.

I'm a collector/enthusiast of American muscle cars, I bought this car from for a friend who was separated from his wife. I only bought it because of the documentation and what I thought was a very very original car, based on all the info from the previous owners. During my two attempts to sell this car I have been asked for more pictures by more people than I can discuss here. I know the hobby is just that a hobby, but I was send out 40+ e-mails per day all just asking for pictures. Yes Jerry is correct I did send him that answer because during our conversation he told me, and please for give me I'm doing this from memory and paraphrasing "We have discussed your car on the boards and it's not worth $20K" at least that is what I heard. I was, as you can imagine, upset that some one who hasn’t seen my car could just make that blanket statement. I now know what he was talking about and what Carl as well as some others wrote, I would like to address some things that I believe are true about this car but may not fit Carls definition of original.

1. The car has not had a major part replaced,,,yes it has had a tune up etc but no other mechanical parts have been replaced or changed from those that came with the car when delivered. In my world of American cars that can't be said..

2. The choke on the console with the A/C knob on the dash seem to be installed by the company contracted by the dealer to install the A/C. I have the warrantee and the instruction manual. The wood grain appliqué seem to be also added at that time.

3. Yes the driver side mirror has been added by a previous owner. But as far as I know it is Datsun part.

4. Yes the radio is a Datsun am/fm from another Datsun but I have the am from this car so no harm no foul

5. Detail the undercarriage. This was of some discussion in the thread here. What I did was wash down and road grime that had been on the car after I drove it the first time for undercarriage pictures. I dried the undercarriage off and used some dressing on any of the rubber so that it would be more photogenic. I would like to share those with you but they are lost in cyber space so I will redo them next week and send them to any on request.

In closing I would just again like to thank Mike to pointing me in this direction and say that this is a great car for anyone who wants what I consider a more than average original. You all have or know what they are about and I guess I didn't know that there are still so many in this shape available. Please feel free to call me to discuss 732-863-5650

Adam Tannen

New Generation Marketing

7 Country Club Lane

Marlboro NJ 07746

Phone 732-863-5650

Edited by CK1
spelling

First I need to thank Mike B for pointing me to this thread, Second I would like to apologize to anyone who I might have offended with my comments to Jerry...I had no idea that I was speaking to you all (Just Jerry) and I had no idea that I could learn so much from this forum. Next I think I need to take some time and explain where I was/am coming from with this car.

Hi Adam:

Good to see you here. I don't think anyone was offended, we're big boys and if we feel offended we can act like little boys in a hurry.:finger:

So far everyone has been pretty civil.

I'm a collector/enthusiast of American muscle cars, I bought this car from for a friend who was separated from his wife.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."

I only bought it because of the documentation and what I thought was a very very original car, based on all the info from the previous owners.

As discussed in a previous Post - that word "original", like many others, is defined in the minds of different buyers, to mean different things. When everyone is being perfectly honest in their use of the term, we all have to realize that there can be a wide gap in the mental images two different types of buyers can form in their minds.

During my two attempts to sell this car I have been asked for more pictures by more people than I can discuss here. I know the hobby is just that a hobby, but I was send out 40+ e-mails per day all just asking for pictures.

Clear detailed pictures help to reduce that gap between mental images in different people's minds mentioned above. In todays world of digital communications, dirt cheap high quality digital cameras, and the ability to easily share those images with a million or more people - they are simply indispensable to good communications - IMHO.

There are many free Photo Hosting Services on the Internet, where high resolution, very detailed images can be placed - then all you have to do is include the URL needed to display them on the World Wide Web. Spend the time up-front, publish the pictures on-line and then include the URL within any Ad. for the car - and anyone can avoid the situation you describe.

When anyone is selling an item on a National, or indeed International basis - the above effort becomes critical to get serious buyers motivated to come in person, to inspect and possibly buy the car.:love:

Yes Jerry is correct I did send him that answer because during our conversation he told me, and please for give me I'm doing this from memory and paraphrasing "We have discussed your car on the boards and it's not worth $20K" at least that is what I heard. I was, as you can imagine, upset that some one who hasn’t seen my car could just make that blanket statement. I now know what he was talking about and what Carl as well as some others wrote, I would like to address some things that I believe are true about this car but may not fit Carls definition of original.

Here again, I wasn't attempting to set my definition of "original", so much as to show how different types of buyers use the term, and how wide the gap in their various definitions can be.

1. The car has not had a major part replaced,,,yes it has had a tune up etc but no other mechanical parts have been replaced or changed from those that came with the car when delivered. In my world of American cars that can't be said..

2. The choke on the console with the A/C knob on the dash seem to be installed by the company contracted by the dealer to install the A/C. I have the warrantee and the instruction manual. The wood grain appliqué seem to be also added at that time.

3. Yes the driver side mirror has been added by a previous owner. But as far as I know it is Datsun part.

4. Yes the radio is a Datsun am/fm from another Datsun but I have the am from this car so no harm no foul

5. Detail the undercarriage. This was of some discussion in the thread here. What I did was wash down and road grime that had been on the car after I drove it the first time for undercarriage pictures. I dried the undercarriage off and used some dressing on any of the rubber so that it would be more photogenic. I would like to share those with you but they are lost in cyber space so I will redo them next week and send them to any on request.

In closing I would just again like to thank Mike to pointing me in this direction and say that this is a great car for anyone who wants what I consider a more than average original. You all have or know what they are about and I guess I didn't know that there are still so many in this shape available. Please feel free to call me to discuss 732-863-5650

Every group of people that share a common interest seem to have their own vernacular and even then, there is always farther discussion about how members in that group are defining common terms. That is really a major advantage to "Discussion Forums" like this one.

Just for those following the thread - most of us usually refer to a car like this as "an unmolested, low mileage and mostly stock example". We might also refer to it as a solid #3 condition car, ready to drive and enjoy on the weekends. Then we could all argue about those statements as well!! It's a hobby...ROFL

I also want to remind everyone that this tread was started at the first of this year - and I believe all of us are now realizing that very clean, low mileage, stock and mostly original, unmolested examples have gained in value this year - as they become ever harder to find.

I also believe that most of us realize the location of the car has a direct impact on its selling price - Z's on the West Coast sell for thousands less, than Z's in the North East, or indeed East of the Mississippi.

FWIW,

Carl B.

adam (CK1), no offense, and with all due respect...after eleven months, a downturn in the economy, and debate throughout the previous threads...... you're asking 12.5% MORE than your original ($20,000-Jan '08) price? ...($22,499 as advertised in the classifieds on this site)

"adam (CK1), no offense, and with all due respect...after eleven months, a downturn in the economy, and debate throughout the previous threads...... you're asking 12.5% MORE than your original ($20,000-Jan '08) price? ...($22,499 as advertised in the classifieds on this site) "

7277 No offence at all. I'm at $22.500 because everyone likes to get what they feel is a good deal...I would like around $20,000 for the car

so at $22,500 there is room to move. BTW when I first posted on e-bay I had the reserve at $25K.....moved down the second time and now I'm here.

As to the downturn in the economy and 11 months I will defer to Carl's post

" I also want to remind everyone that this tread was started at the first of this year - and I believe all of us are now realizing that very clean, low mileage, stock and mostly original, unmolested examples have gained in value this year - as they become ever harder to find.

I also believe that most of us realize the location of the car has a direct impact on its selling price - Z's on the West Coast sell for thousands less, than Z's in the North East, or indeed East of the Mississippi."

"adam (CK1), no offense, and with all due respect...after eleven months, a downturn in the economy, and debate throughout the previous threads...... you're asking 12.5% MORE than your original ($20,000-Jan '08) price? ...($22,499 as advertised in the classifieds on this site) "

7277 No offence at all. I'm at $22.500 because everyone likes to get what they feel is a good deal...I would like around $20,000 for the car

so at $22,500 there is room to move. BTW when I first posted on e-bay I had the reserve at $25K.....moved down the second time and now I'm here.

As to the downturn in the economy and 11 months I will defer to Carl's post

" I also want to remind everyone that this tread was started at the first of this year - and I believe all of us are now realizing that very clean, low mileage, stock and mostly original, unmolested examples have gained in value this year - as they become ever harder to find.

I also believe that most of us realize the location of the car has a direct impact on its selling price - Z's on the West Coast sell for thousands less, than Z's in the North East, or indeed East of the Mississippi."

CK1: just curious as to your price point since the silver 73 on eBay, with only 5700 original miles sold for ~$21,000....

also, i live about 40mins south of you in Toms River.....if you'd like to meet up and "talk Z sh*t", let me know :o)... i've been a Z guy for 20yrs

• 1 month later...

Slightly old thread, but I am in Freehold (right next to Marlboro), so if you're up for a drive, let me know.

That goes for you too 7277 - but I've seen your car (at the NJZC show), it's way nicer than mine. In fact, compared to both cars, mine's a heap, but it drives and I love it.

Hey where in Freehold are you? I am East Freehold, by Colts Neck. I just picked up another 72Z on Ebay, it was the one for $10,900. It was Ken Sakson's mint car , he just passed away - tragic loss. Are you the guy with the red 72 that stopped by the one day. If so I lost your info. I really need to join the N.J. Z Club.

-Rick

Rick,

Yep, I am the guy with the red '72! You got another one??? Damn, I am jealous!

What are you going to do with the black one? I am interested if you don't part it out!!

You up for a ride soon? I need some work on mine, as you know, but it would still be nice to get it out more!

Rick,

Yep, I am the guy with the red '72! You got another one??? Damn, I am jealous!

Yes I bought a 72 with 89k miles ,that is in absolute mint condition it is a work of art. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___SUPERB-1972-Datsun-240Z-with-new-engine-SHARP_W0QQitemZ290285780965QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item290285780965&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

The owner had 17k and 700 hours into it before he died. I believe he posted here regularly, I may be wrong. ( Ken Sakson) Everything underneath is new and POR. It has a 2.9 Rebello, upgraded brakes,Konis,Eibachs and every dam upgrade MSA offers. Last time I saw him he was getting ready to go to the Z Nationals in Cleveland. He won 2nd place for best modified , it is a tragic drag to end up with the car under these circumstances.

What are you going to do with the black one? I am interested if you don't part it out!!

Like I had told you Ken had first dibs on anything on that 72, since he is gone you are welcome to anything I deceide to sell. At this point the seats are mint, do you still want them. For now I will be selling the three Webers,L2.4, SU'S. Not sure about the complete interior and all the other tons of nos items. I had not contemplated selling whole car. Yeah I now own 2 (72Z), 1 (77Z), its getting out of control.

Shoot me an email ,we can exchange numbers.

wyatt80@optonline.net

Edited by Rick Q.

Rick and all:

I just saw the eBay link for the car you won...I didn't know Ken by name, but I do believe his screen name is 7277 - I was responding to his post without knowing what happened. You mentioned he passed, he was a young guy, my thoughts and prayers for his family.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys

Sorry to here about Ken and yes it's hard to think about getting a car that way but at least it has a great home and will be cared for. My 71 is still for sale UTR sort of. I was out of the country for two weeks and then just busy with work so I haven't check the board. If you know of anyone looking for a true unmolested car please let me know....Thanks