IGNORED

Making twin turbo 240Z - need advice

AggieZ

If you have fabrication skills you just have to fabricate the turbo manifold and weld up the plumbing or if you have the money to spend, pay someone to do it.

The low boost thing is only when getting a basic tune. Once the car is tuned, there is no reason why you can't turn up the boost (assuming all the other systems are up for the task).

pictures of a twin turbo setup just for kicks :classic:

fp4.jpg

finished.jpg

header3.jpg

Bill,

If you look at what I quoted, "Please explain to me why i'm running at 17 psi and the only reason i'm not running in the 25psi range is that i have an older Electromotive computer..." you will see that ""No N/A 2.8 L motor will make more power than a 2.4 with a pinwheel"" had absolutely nothing to do with it. My comment was solely to address exactly what I quoted, as to why you were able to run 17 psi...

1)My point is you obviously have a modified engine, and the modifications might go a long way to explain how you are able to run higher boost. Try that on an upopened and original 2400 and you will likely have a blown head gasket(if you're lucky)-or worse pretty quickly.

2)If I were to comment on "No N/A 2.8 L motor will make more power than a 2.4 with a pinwheel" I can prove that to be wrong.

A properly tuned NA L28 could and will make more power than a poorly tuned l24 even with the addition of a turbo, that is to say if you slap a "pinwheel" on a finely tuned L24 with out changing anything else, the engine will go lean and die before it gets above the power curve of a similarly fine tuned L28. Funny thing about making assumptions...

If both engines are properly tuned for their test, I'll agree with you.

Will

1)Wrong-Factory block,factory head-not O-ringed.Nothing special-just attention to detail.

So your're comparing a good L-28 with a poor state-of-tune,needs work L-24?How about apple to apples?Putting a turbo on a un-touched milaged motor of ANY make is asking for a grenade.

2)No,you can not prove that wrong.Again a properly tuned L-28 against a poorly tuned L-24.Compare good to good.Not good to bad.

No-one in their right mind compares worn-out motors with fresh built ones.

It is apparent that not too many folks here know what is required to properly build a turbo motor.

From a ground up build,a N/A 2.8 will NOT touch a L-24 turbo in HP.

S30Zt-has that set-up been run yet?

Everyone needs to calm down, this is quickly becoming a pissing contest.

But:

No,you can not prove that wrong.Again a properly tuned L-28 against a poorly tuned L-24.Compare good to good.Not good to bad.

Yes, it's totally fair to compare 2 engines like that. You made a BLANKET statement the "NO" n/a 2.8 could touch a turbo'd 2.4.

If you go out to the real world, there are plenty of shitty turbo'd 2.4's you could find that would get spanked by a some well done 2.8 you could find.

Your comment should have said ""No PROPERLY BUILT N/A 2.8 L motor will make more power than a PROPERLY BUILT 2.4 with a pinwheel"

1)Wrong-Factory block,factory head-not O-ringed.Nothing special-just attention to detail.

So your're comparing a good L-28 with a poor state-of-tune,needs work L-24?How about apple to apples?Putting a turbo on a un-touched milaged motor of ANY make is asking for a grenade.

2)No,you can not prove that wrong.Again a properly tuned L-28 against a poorly tuned L-24.Compare good to good.Not good to bad.

It is apparent that not too many folks here know what is required to properly build a turbo motor.

From a ground up build,a N/A 2.8 will NOT touch a L-24 turbo in HP.

Bill,

1) I don't know any formal business who would put a two or a three bar system on a completely stock 35 year old 240Z longblock and call it a properly built turbo motor, and give the entire assembly any warranty what so ever.

2) You defined the contest-don't project your anger over your word choice and diction at me. Even you agreed that my statement was true...and then told me I was not in my right mind for what amounts to holding you to your word.

It's the old assumption trick: I bet you $20 we can both be standing on a single sheet of notebook paper and you can't touch me while on the paper. If you don't specify the conditions before accepting the bet, I get to, and you'll be out $20 and have to travel every time.

Another lesson, quoting someone means not changing the text as it was typed by the other person...

Will

Bill,

1) I don't know any formal business who would put a two or a three bar system on a completely stock 35 year old 240Z longblock and call it a properly built turbo motor, and give the entire assembly any warranty what so ever.

2) You defined the contest-don't project your anger over your word choice and diction at me. Even you agreed that my statement was true...and then told me I was not in my right mind for what amounts to holding you to your word.

It's the old assumption trick: I bet you $20 we can both be standing on a single sheet of notebook paper and you can't touch me while on the paper. If you don't specify the conditions before accepting the bet, I get to, and you'll be out $20 and have to travel every time.

Another lesson, quoting someone means not changing the text as it was typed by the other person...

Will

O.K.Will,let me rephrase:My original post is valid and 100% accurate.A PROPERLY built N/A 2.8 motor will NOT surpass a PROPERLY built L-24 turbo motor.PERIOD.NOway,NO how.

BTW-who's angry?I'm just annoyed that people post stupid stufff on the board where others are trying to learn.

Everyone needs to calm down, this is quickly becoming a pissing contest.

But:

Yes, it's totally fair to compare 2 engines like that. You made a BLANKET statement the "NO" n/a 2.8 could touch a turbo'd 2.4.

If you go out to the real world, there are plenty of shitty turbo'd 2.4's you could find that would get spanked by a some well done 2.8 you could find.

Your comment should have said ""No PROPERLY BUILT N/A 2.8 L motor will make more power than a PROPERLY BUILT 2.4 with a pinwheel"

Johnny-you are correct.I should have used the phrase "properly built".I didn't think people here were that obtuse.Nor did i think anyone in their right mind would consider a worn out motor vs a new built a valid comparison.:stupid:I stand corrected.

That statement is still null. What is a properly built engine? It will be different from person to person. For what I would do with a properly built engine, I think that a L28 NA could keep up with or perform better then a turbo L24 though my idea of properly built would be very different from everyone elses.

Also, I forgot to mention that with a L24 Turbo'd, I would get a 5-Speed and a R200 diff, which raises the price again.

Still, RB26DETT or even a RB25DET would be a way better choice of a turbo. Cheaper even after installation, and just a few hundred dollars can get you some surious HP on both motors.

Though that is comparing it against my properly built L24T which would be different from yours.

Bill,

I have wasted my time and energy on you, and you wasted yours on me. I won't do any more of that in this thread, though I can't say I won't annoy you with out meaning to.

The rest of you, before building a turbo system read all you can that professionals have written, talk to people and draw your own conclusions before spending your money and time. Building one wrong can cost you a running car and what ever it costs to get it running again-if it is your primary transportation you could really be in a fix. Remember, no one is going to give you a warranty on information, and what and who you choose to believe can and probably will save or cost you money and time.

Will

• 1 month later...

I've thought about this for a while...

There are some down-faults that I have come across...

1. Using two intake and exhaust manifolds... Upside... Could get pretty decent boost off of the stock ECU... Downside. If a turbo goes out. One of two things could happen. Different wear on three different cylinders. Causing a blow in gasket due to uneven pressure. Or blowing your head.

2. L28E motors were not built for a turbo charged system. Hence all kinds of bad would go wrong.

3. ITB's with two different intake and exhaust manifolds. Same problem as number 1 up there.

It's not worth it to dump a lot of money into parts that need to be custom made.

I remember 1 fast z... He used ka heads and put them all together. Hence a cross flow head with less heat.

But that's my 2 cents.