IGNORED

What is this?

Sailor Bob

When I was removing the rear passenger side, control arm (transverse link) last year I removed this peice and didn't replace it because I could figure it's purpose and it looked home-made. I had found some other home remedies as well that I replaced with proper parts.

Over the past year I have seen it on a couple of other 280s - so perhaps it wasn't home-made and maybe it shouldn't have been removed? Any thoughts or info?

The part is the square rubber over the inner control arm hinge/bolt.

post-9729-14150802057787_thumb.jpg

This picture is an example - not a of my car.

I would agree that it is some sort of splash guard, though being so small it's hard to see how helpful it would be.

For comparison, attached is a photo of a similar unit on my s130. Same location mounted behind the differential, but much larger.

post-11908-14150802057956_thumb.jpg

Methinks it is a panel to prevent the gas/petrol tank from getting pierced by the rearward facing fasteners, in the event of a rear end shunt:ermm:

My car which is a 78 also has it. Your explanation makes sense. These may have been retrofitted to the cars and that would explain why they don't show up in the microfiche or FSM. This post was originally about the S30 and somehow became inclusive of the S130. The fact that it shows up in the FSM for an S130 would indicate that it had become a factory part by then. I recall back in the 70s when the Ford Pinto had a problem with fuel tank explostions in a rear end collision and Ford recalled those cars to install a shield between the rear axle and the fuel tank to prevent that problem. Nissan may have done something similar and the fact that some cars don't have them now could be that a previous owner had removed it. I would also assume that it wasn't used until the 280Z and possibly not until 77 because of the design of the tank.