IGNORED

72 parts into 71 shell

Dan S

Hey all,

Ok here's the situation, I have a 71 and 72 240...the 71 shell is in restoreable shape, as in solid shell all around fenders, quarters and doors all smooth, hood and hatch both have rust holes starting..but all suspension and undercarriage parts are pretty rusted up but salvageable, now the 72 has major r/r quarter issues, have all replacment metal parts to repair but came across the 71 in a "garage find" recently made the guy an offer of 1500.00 for shell and numbers matching engine with 66,000 miles( motor was inspected buy respected z mechanic and verified that had minimal wear) but needs a teardown as it has sat for too many years, 2 4 speed trannys and and some pretty rough looking interior parts.

Now I know I can easily swap out the hood and hatch, correct? Can I also swap engine from 72 into 71, I assume yes, I would like to put the 5 speed tranny I have in it, now will I have issues with driveline and diff, as I have read that the diff mount was move back, I do have both 71 and 72 driveshafts. Also I was hoping to get as much headsup on any other things that might give me swapping problems, as alot of the 72 parts will be in the 71.

I have almost all the 72 undercarriage parts blasted and painted ready to be installed, and I would save the 71 parts as spares.

I know I should have wiring harness differences etc. but all in all most parts are should swap fine.

Would appriecate and help on this as I've read through alot of the archives but have not been able to find the answers to some of my questions.

I know here some will come to my rescue cause the goal is on to be on the road by August 08.

thanks all

• 2 months later...

Straight across swap. Numbers matching means nothing with this project. Sense everything is being swapped around plus installing a 5 speed. If you are going to spend money on a engine , think seriously of finding a good ZX motor and if necessary go through that one. It will perform much better and it is a direct swap. You can use the intake manifold and keep the SUs. I did this vary thing and am vary satisfied with the results. You will need the drive shaft from a 280 Z to mate with the 5 speed. If you are staying with the R-180 diff. both are the same . The difference is with a R-200 Diff, you will need the moustache bar for the R-200 as it is different than the one for the R-180 . Also the mustache bar for the R-200 must be reversed to provide the correct spacing for the larger Diff. the cross member from the '72 must be used for the R-200 also as it is curved and the '70s is straight.

This is also to accommodate the larger ''pumpkin''.