IGNORED

2 Outtya 6 Injectors Leak Bad

DA Z CHEF

If it is just the hoses, Motorsport used to have replacement hoses for the injectors. Haven't received their newest catalog yet, so you may want to check with them. If it is the injector body itself or the mounting ring under them, I would replace them all at the same time. There is also an o-ring on the injector where it mounts into the intake manifold, it may be these are bad.

If 2 are gone, the rest are not far from failure. It's a bit of a pain to take the fuel rail apart (lots of clamps to take off) to replace just two, so if you are going to do two you may as well do the rest. You really should do a good job checking these out and replacing any of the hoses that are hardened, they will crack and leak with the fuel pressure in the rail and it may cause a serious fire. No sense losing your car because you didn't do a thorough job the first time it was taken apart.

It's probably a two hour job for one person to replace all the hoses and injectors. Be careful not to force the injector harness plugs or lose the clips that hold them. The plugs and clips can be purchased form MSA, but if you are careful you may not need them.

It's a fairly easy job to do, it just takes time to figure out which hoses you need to unhook to get each piece loose. I took mine apart with no problem. Unhook the wiring harnesses and don't lose the clips. Lay it off to the side. Then unhook the fuel line to the rail and start taking the injectors loose at the manifold. Be careful not to snap off any of the mounting screws that mount the ring at the bottom of the injector. Take the whole fuel rail and injectors off as one piece. Makes it a lot easier to work on if you have it on the workbench. Then it's just separating the two halves of the rail so you can replace the hoses in the middle and then replace the injectors one at a time. You might as well replace the return hose and the hose from the fuel filter while you are at it. It will take at least 3 feet of hose. Just one thing, make sure you use a hose designed for fuel injection. Some of the cheaper hoses will not hold up to the pressure and you'll have bulging hoses all over. Not good. Napa, or any of the chain store will sell it in a small package and it will be marked fuel injection hose. You may need two packages as most I remember were only 18 inches or so long.

No need for an "expert" mechanic if you have the basic tools, and an afternoon to do the job without hurrying. Take your time, you will see how it has to be done once you start.

• 2 weeks later...
CAN REPAIR DUMMIES DO THIS JOB

OR DO YOU RECOMMEND AN EXPERT MECHANIC

Well, I did it... and I've been called a dummy (along with many other colorful names in the past).

But, I don't know if you can replace the hose from the rail down to the injector itself. I just purchased all 6 new injectors and that particular flex-hose looks like it's permanently attached to the injector itself.

As for all of the other hoses, replace them all when you have it apart... and make sure you use some compressed air to clean out the fuel rail at the same time.

The injectors were fairly easy to replace and, yes, you need to pull the rail. There are a lot of little fuel hose clamps to remove and it's a job that requires patience. Make sure you don't bend the metal rail or you will need to buy a new one.

I'M GONNA TRY IT

I MORE QUESTION OR 2.

I WAS TOLD I HAVE A 93 MAXIMA ENGINE

HOW CAN I KNOW 4 SURE?

AND USE INJECTOR WOULD B A GOOD IDEA HUH?

I'M STRAPPED 4 CASH.

Not sure about the engine thing. You'll have to get the engine numbers and cross-reference that info. Ask a dealer. Or, maybe someone else here knows. Get your engine # and post it.

Used injectors? Hmm... I wouldn't do it. But, I'm a stickler for good components like this. In fact, if you asked me... I'd tell you to replace all of the injectors with new ones. It's such a pain in the arse to replace, I'd do it right. If they were easier to replace, then I would say yes....

At least get rebuilt injectors. That way you know they aren't plugged. I had some pretty plugged up injectors due to old hoses.

• 2 weeks later...

You could always have your injectors cleaned and tested by a Auto electrician/injection place. It cost me $8 per injector to have them acid bathed, sonic tested and fully cleaned out. It turned out my injectors were fine but if one was stuffed then I wuold have only needed the one new one.

My 10c anyway. (not 2c, inflation and all)