IGNORED

The First Z...and Last...

d240zx2

I enjoyed your story about your Datsun. It is very interesting how much detail your remember about this car. You getting in back in very good condition is wonderful. What a thrill it must be to have it back in your posession. Keep us posted.

Ok, then how do I reduce the size of the photos to be able to share them here? They were taken at 2288 x 1712.

Frank

You would need to open them in some kind of graphics program and resize them. If you don't have a program that can do this, you could email them to me and I could resize them and send them back or post them for you. PM me if you want my email address.

-Mike

Ok, then how do I reduce the size of the photos to be able to share them here? They were taken at 2288 x 1712.

There are many options for this. Assuming you're running Microsoft Windows even the built-in paint program, MSPaint, can resize image files. If you're running Windows XP there's a free image re-sizer "powertoy" available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

If you're running another OS like Linux or Mac OS X there are plenty of options for those as well.

Frank, that is a great story and it looks like the 2nd owner took good care of it for you. I would love to see some more pictures when you get a chance. I am the second owner of two of my Z's (including #237), but in my case I don't think the original owners will be coming back for them. It seems like all Z's have some kind of story, but I find stories about the early cars to be some of the most interesting. The person that now owns the first 240z to arrive in the Seattle area told me that the original owner was actually fifth on the list to get one. When the car arrived the first four people passed on it because the pre-order information said the cars were supposed to have 5 spds and this one arrived with a 4 spd. Little did they know they would have a long wait ahead of them to get a 5spd Z in the US.

-Mike

• 9 years later...
On 10/13/2007 at 9:42 AM, jackwarnock said:

Hullo Frank

I really enjoyed your story. There won't be many stories like this to be told because it just doesn't happen. I bought my first 240Z in August, 1971 (HS30 00741). I had to sell it in 1976 unfortunately. Several years ago I wanted to revisit that 240Z experience of so many years ago. The first thing I did was to check on the registration (NSW Australia) of the car. I found that the original registration of the 1971 car was "available" - meaning that my original car was probably beer cans.

The original registration was BBQ-240. I reserved it right there and it is now the only connection with my current 1973 Fairlady 240Z (HS30 103407)purchased in 2003.

When I went to take delivery of my new 240Z in 1971 I asked the dealer how he managed to obtain the registration number (BBQ-240) and he looked at me strangely and wondered why I would ask!! He explained that he wasn't aware of the interesting plate - it was what the registration office issued him at the time. I thought it was quite an amazing coincidence!!

Great to read your story. I think many of us will be interested in seeing some photos and hearing of your refreshment of your "old" 240Z. Thanks again.

Regards, Jack

Hey Jack,

Bit of a thread revival some 10 years later, but...

BBQ-240 might still be out there, HS30 00741 was last seen in a barn in country Victoria.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13773-early-girl-bingo-with-photos/?p=192123

Photos here:

https://goo.gl/photos/RMV6rBemLFrcaGPi8

Looks like it was going to be turned into a Rally or Race car and was just a shell missing many parts.

From a member on the site Doug.

I was going though an old hard drive and found a number of images including some of #741
I remember looking at this car about 15 + years ago going by the dates on the images on a large country type property in the outer east of Melbourne .
The owner had been "given" the car as a spare shell and was asking $6k for it at the time .
It was pretty much a striped shell with a roll cage , seam welded and rose jointed suspension etc. No drive train , interior , wiring loom , lights or bumpers .
Not sure if it ever sold or if it's still sitting in the old barn !

Incidentally your Fairlady 240Z-L has changed hands a couple of times recently too. Lovely car.

Great story, i remember those days of the dealerships wanting $1000 down and a waiting list due to one Z for every 29 cars sold. After being discharged in early 72 and given the run around by 3 local dealerships, I went to Stang Motors, Elyria, Ohio, Mr. Terry Tracey  took $100 down payment, said '' I'll see what I can do''. A week later he calls and says, " I've got 3 take your pick". I chose white 4sp w/burgundy interior. I asked, "How'd you get 3". Stang Motors sold Datsuns, MGs, Triumphs and AMC, so they sold more cars.

• Like 1