IGNORED

LSD 3.54 gear ratio

kcoke

So I found a LSD 3.54 gear ratio differential. If I swap this into my 71 240z that has the stock differential which i believe the gear ratio to be 3.36 what kind of difference will I see. Is this a better upgrade? Any performance difference? Also I am running a 5 spd tranny and l24 modified.

Thanks

There are 2 issues:

a) the 3.54 ratio will generate more torque at the rear wheels giving a little better acceleration, but at the expense of needing to shift more often and hurting mileage a little.

B) Do you want/need an LSD? Do you have any issues with losing traction with your inside rear wheel now? If you don't, you might not want to install the LSD. They are not completely transparent as you will probably notice it when turning sharply at slow speeds (parking lots), and also may notice it changes how the car handles at speed.

You didn't say which 5 speed you're running, but you might want to spend some time at http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html to see how the change will affect your speed in gears.

ZX is a stronger tranny than the original 240. Better still if it's a late one (ratios closer). Good swop, only down side (dependant on which tranny you had in the first place) is your 1st gear may be a bit low and you may need to change the speedo drive in the box but having said that if it all came out of the same car then this won't be a problem. Increase in gas mileage will be marginal as will top speed but having said that acceleration will be improved.

So I found a LSD 3.54 gear ratio differential. If I swap this into my 71 240z that has the stock differential which i believe the gear ratio to be 3.36 what kind of difference will I see. Is this a better upgrade? Any performance difference? Also I am running a 5 spd tranny and l24 modified.

Thanks

Is that a Subaru LSD ? Did you have to change the out put flanges on the sides? If so, how difficult was that? any other mods that you needed to do.

Thanks,

Marty

I know you can use the Clutch LSD, but I'm not so sure about the viscous LSD. You might check with a 510 forum before you buy this thing.

The 3.54 is a tall rear gear for use in conjunction with the ZX 5 speed. It will be relatively low in the rpm range at speed, so when you go up hills or when you're passing you'll have to downshift to 4th more often. A 3.90 is what came stock with the ZX 5 speed. A 4.11 would be nice.

I would rather go with a 3.9 or 4.11. That is what I am keeping my eye out for. Even thinking of getting an old rusted 1980zx cause I want that 5-Speed and I wouldn't mind settling for the 3.9, but I had rather get the 4.11.

1980zx 5-Speed w/ a 3.9 or 4.11 is the route I am going myself. Best for acceleration. Just taking advantage of the cars strong points, already having awesome handling, making it pull out of corners even harder will capitalize on the strength of the car.