IGNORED

Ramses

Hey,

I know this is a z site, but I am interested in purchasing a '69 1600 roadster. The question that I have for you Datsun enthusiasts is can a 6'5" person fit in the car like I can in a 240, 260, or 280z. I can not fit comfortably in the new 350z's. What should be a normal price for one that has no major rust issues except for some surface rust and needs complete restore on interior. Motor seems strong and has similar compression on all 4 cylindres.

Chuck

I've seen 6'2" guys in a roadster and the top had to be down. The seats should be able to be lowered or modified to accomidate but I'd have to look at one to really know.

The Z's were actually designed for 5' 8" and taller American men.

Thje 1600 you described should be at or above $2000 (area and owner vary the price.) Still $25,000 less than a 350Z.

Got a picture of inside and out?

Dave.

It depends on the year. From 67.5 the front windshield and roof was taller. I owned a 1970 1600 Roadster for nearly 20 years. I'm 6-2 and didn't have any problems with the top up. It was a stroked 1600 with a 5 speed from a 2000 roadster. I still miss that car sometimes.

Check out this site for roadster info. http://www.311s.org/ Bunch of great people there that will help answer any questions you may have. Be aware of "low cost" roadsters, as they almost always cost more than you think. I would personally buy the best example you could afford as parts, while still mostly available, are sometimes suprisingly expensive. I have probably over 10k in my frame off and it's not even back together yet, but I do have a lot of "custom" touches I have done to it. R16 engines are very durable and while not as powerful as the U20's, are easier and cheaper to build and maintain. Price a U20 timing set or oil pump lately?:eek:

The 67.5 was still a "low" windshield model, it wasn't until 68 that they went to the "high" windshield (2" more).

The 67.5 2000 (SRL311) is generally accepted as the rarest of all of them as there were only a few hundred manufactured.

Any year has two positions for the seat track to be mounted in and you can always drill a third set of holes and move the seat even further back. Some guys even go for the Miata seats with the speakers in the headrest.

FWIW

E

I am 6'3" and I had a 67.5 1600 (short windsheild) throughout my college years and I definitely did not fit. Even after redrilling seat mounting holes as far back as possible my knees would rest against the bottom of the dash and my head stuck up a couple inches above the windsheild. I still loved the car though and commuted to school in it every chance I got.

Steve

The 67.5 was still a "low" windshield model, it wasn't until 68 that they went to the "high" windshield (2" more).

E, I meant to say that the 67.5 model was the last low windshield model. I would have been clearer had I said the 68 was the first high windshield model. My parts car was a 68 2000.

Chuck, maybe these scans from the Sept. 07 issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car magazine will be of some help:

post-3797-14150800911482_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800911978_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800912379_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800912751_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800913133_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800913543_thumb.jpg

Here's the only picture I can find of the 1970 1600 I owned from 1977-1997. It was a stroker using the crank, rods and pistons from a 2000 roadster along with the carbs, and the five speed, the console, etc. from my 68 2000 wrecked parts car. I still have that liscense plate frame on my Z. The blue 73 620 in the carport was also mine at the time.

52ctusz.jpg