IGNORED

1970 AM Radio Volume Output - Suggestions please

Dazza

Within hours of getting my 1970 240Z the original radio decided to retire from operatrion. Thanks to information gathered from this site, I was able to remove it (darn heater/ventillation control cables). I manged to finally convince a local electronics repairman that I did not want a new radio but wanted my original one repaired. That should have been a sign to me that he was not really interested in the job. To cut a long story short, I have been driving around with this gaping hole in the dash where the radio used to reside for 2 months now. Well, the other day I managed to get another orignal replacement radio, just as my one put in for repair came back fixed. I tried both out on the bench prior to installation and found they both worked the same but the volume output was not as high as modern units, which is to be expected. I installed one of the radios and it works very well in the car and can be easily heard when the engine is idling.

My problem is that after all this waiting for an original radio, the exhaust noise from the mufflers and headers, totally drowns out the radio, when driving. I just love the exhaust note from the car, but it would be also nice to listen to some road music as well. I do wish to keep the car in its original appearance.

Can the output from the existing radio be further amplified by some discreetly hidden unit ?

Can a modern Radio/cd/cassette and speakers be easily hidden from view in a 240z ?

I am open to suggestions here ...............

thanks

:classic:

I suppose if money was no object you could get a custom job where the front panel looks like the original radio, but can be folded down to reveal a modern one...

I suppose you could also put a new one in the glove box, although it would be quite a struggle to change the radio station while driving..........

Depending on how serious you are about the tunes, how about just hooking the stock radio up to some good aftermarket speakers? The stock speakers left a lot to be desired. You could mount them in small boxes behind the seats or anywhere you wouldn't have to hack up the panels in the car. This would be the cheapest and easiest alternative for the time being, then if you decide you want to upgrade to a hidden system like the one posted (which I have heard a lot of good stories about) you already have better speakers already in the car.:ermm:

many amplifiers have speaker level inputs (as opposed to the shielded low level inputs). You could easily install a small amp under the seat or behind a panel. You'd just have to wire the radio outputs to the amp, and run the amp outputs to the speaker(s). You adjust the amp gain to suit your needs and control the volume at the headunit. You'd also have to run a power line from the battery to the amp but that'd be easy to hide. That AM radio probably only puts out a few watts (10 at most I'd guess) so even a little 25 or 30 watt amp would give significant improvement. You'd need after market speakers but almost any would work for AM and would handle power from a small amp.

By the way an amp for these purposes you could get for $30-$50 bucks on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371469005

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371125629

These would work as well as many others. That alpine would be great and is tiny - I think would easily fit under the seat. THe only problem I can think of is most headunits made these days come with a power on signal used to turn on the amp when the radio comes on. You may have to find a way to do this so the amp doesn't stay on all the time (such as when the car is off!) This shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck and have fun!!

Michael

Yes A amp would do fine. One other thing you should look into getting before you put any new things in (amp head unit EQ ) is A good noise filter. A noise filter hooks up in your power line for these things.

With the older points/coil type cars you will prob. hear the elec. sound of your motor through the speakers. Much like A tach but with sound.

Dont worry there only like $5-$20 and you will get what you pay for.

That's true but most of the noise you get is a product of the installation. Just be sure to run the amp power lines far from the signal lines. That'll kill most noise problems. Normally the power lines will run along one side of the car and the signal lines along the other side or down the middle. If they must get near each other don't run them parallel - make them cross at right angles if possible. If you have noise problems after that try a filter.

Michael

Mperdue's right. an amp that thas speaker level line inputs is what you need.

If the amps got a remote on power feed (like my alpine has) all you have to do is connect that to a switched accessory the goes off when the ignition is turned off. usually the radio or cigarette lighter, so when you turn the key to off the amp switches itself off.

This isn't power for the amp, its just a signal so the amp knows to be on or off.

Thanks for the the tips, much appreciated. I will probably go for the option of hiding some decent speakers and go for the amplifier as well. Just the same, the hidden type unit does look neat.

Cheers

:classic: