IGNORED

Wow! My once-in-a-lifetime find!!!!!

derk

Wow.

You read stories about finding the Porsche in the barn, right?

Today I bought a 240Z from *California* that has been in storage since 1987. Best of all, bought it from a friend who bought it new.

Last plated in 87, this 71 240z still has the 87 California tags on it. Last turned over two years ago. Towed it to my place today and gave it a quick bath.

I will be seeking all of your wise counsel as I embark on bringing this one back from the dead. This is 100 percent original (window sticker in the glovebox!) and I am going to need a lot of help from you. Ordered the CD today and have Ward Humble's book on my lap.

What would you do first?

The exhaust is rotten. The tires are rotten but inflated. I need to be careful I don't just rip into this. But I could use your help!

Attached is the beauty after her first bath in 11 years.

Thanks!!!!

post-2517-14150792105073_thumb.jpg

Jeez, looks like a great find. Looks pretty darn good after a bath!

First thing is to do a complete mechanical check up. Don't worry about taking things apart until you know for sure what needs to be repaired an what can wait till the project is closer to completion.

One thing I would do is a compression check to verify there are no internal problems. Next on the agenda would be a thorough check of the brake system, including bleeding the system. I would suggest checking to make sure you have no leaks, an have no stuck pistons, and the pads/shoes are useable.

Second thing to do would be a complete tune-up of the engine. Plugs, wires, points, cap, condensor, possibly coil. I would at least spray a bit of carb cleaner in the carbs to make sure you have no bad gum deposits. If you haven't already you should also change the fuel filter and air filter. I would also suggest changing all the fluids, engine oil, filter, transmissions fluid and the rear diff lube.

Start slow, don't rush into a big tear down, work on one problem area at a time and you will be much better off in the long run.

I am getting lots of advice on the engine, how to make sure it's not seized. Of course, with no battery in it, people are suggesting a couple of squirts of wd-40 in each spark plug hole, some regular oil...some Marvel Mystery Oil (?) and everything else under the sun.

Obviously I want to crank it manually to get some motion in there I think....what do you suggest?

THe exhaust looks shot from front to back...any good sources for this? Like to keep it close to stock unless you experts think otherwise.

Not finding a lot of rust...some but not a lot. I will take some pics and ask for help.

Interior looks ok...dash is totally shot. I have another thread going on how to refurb. Thanks for the comments!

You should definately crank it over a few times by hand to make sure nothing is seized. Take all the plugs out, put some penetrating oil or Marvel Mystery oil in there overnight before you do it. Take off the coil wire before you do anything! When you have turned it over a few times by hand, if it spins fairly free and has no strange noises, get in a hit the key and spin it over with the starter. With the coil wire off it will not start. Check to make sure you have oil pressure before you hook up the coil wire. You don't want it to fire if you have no oil pressure, you will seize it or spin a bearing. If everything checks out OK, hook up the coil wire and then see if it will start.

DAMN NICE FIND!!!:love:

1st Thing I would do after A find like that is buy A loto ticket.LOL

Now as the car gose. So far I would do as the others have said. Only I would just get new brakes all around and new rubber brake lines @ the same time. They go bad fast just sitting. Why risk it?

The other thing would be order A master type kit with all the rubber bushings. Take this kit with the car and drop it off @ A shop. Get the labor cost up front. go home have A beer & know its money well spent. You wont know it was the same car when you pick it up. O ya the shop wont be happy when you go ta pick it up. But you will be.

Darn You!!! I hate you and you're happy little perfect luck!!!

Where's that sharp knife I have???:dead:

No seriously, Good for you man. That's a great find. Good luck with the project and getting her turned over. I'm with everybody else Marvel in the cylinders overnight turn by hand, turn by key, fire it up!

Now here's something no ones mentioned but make sure all your fluids are there. Fresh coolant, fresh oil in the crankcase. Check/ replace hose cause you don't want those things blowing up and spraying gas/ oil/ coolant in the driveway. Don't just try to hurry up and see if it runs. Take your time and always think safety first!

You've got quite the canvas, what are your plans Picasso?

:classic:

Nate