IGNORED

Coilovers question

i3rfnp3

I just assembled coilovers in the front of my 240z, and I have a question. Im running MM coilovers with EMI camberplates and Suspension Techniques bump stops. I dropped my car down and it seemed like I didnt have much suspension travel with the bumbstops? I havent lowered the car yet, its the same height as it was before. I would of thought that I would have plenty of travel at stock height and with camberplates.. Should I shorten the bumpstops? Does this seem right? It seems like if I lower the car 2" it will be riding the bumbstops..

Oh..btw, I havent sectioned my struts..

Anyone who can help?

BUMP STOPS?

What are they?

Are they the little churned up, disintegrated, mish mash of stuff that fall down from the top of the strut after driving around the block?LOL

Sorry:nervous:

Perhaps they are too long for your application?

Does the supplier have a choice of lengths available?

I dropped my car down and it seemed like I didnt have much suspension travel with the bumbstops? I havent lowered the car yet, its the same height as it was before.

Are you sure? Did you measure the ride height at the rocker panels before and after? The EMI camber plates by themselves will lower a car 1" compared to the factory rubber spring isolators.

Ive finally gotten my car back together and I must say its like driving a completely different car! I love my new suspension-setup! :D As I said, Im using the EMI camberplates and I have not sectioned my struts. I seem to have read that you shouldnt lower your car more than 1,5" because than you loose too much travel. So if I lower it 1,5"+ the camberplates lower 1", I should be able to lower my car 2,5" and still have enough travel, right?

I have now lowered my car approx 2" and I dont think I can go any lower.. I had to shorten my bumpstops to about half the size to regain some travel, and at this moment I measured that I have around 4cm (~1,5") travel and my front shocks.. (Im from Norway so Im used to the metric system ;) )

In the back theres no issue, the coilovers are set higher than in the front and I have plenty of travel, but I really thought I would be able to go lower with the camberplates.. If the camberpltes lower 1", that means I really only lowered my car 1", and I cant go any lower because of loss of travel..

I havent got any pictures now, but I can see if I can take some tomorrow to try to show what it looks like..

I must add that the car is low enough for me, but I was kinda hoping I would be able to go lower.

Edit: This is not at all any critique towards EMI camberplates or Modern Motorsports, I just use the names because I hope maybe somebody using the same parts or who have experience with them maybe could help me figure out what I can do different, or what I have done wrong. I will not be sectioning my struts, because my car is fine as it is now, Im just troubleshooting so that maybe people in the future wont make the same mistakes I maybe made..

I don't think you've done anything "wrong", it sounds like you just want the car lower than is practical without sectioning the struts. Most people like a little rake too (front lower than the back) so that means that the fronts usually end up with less available travel than the rear. Sectioning the fronts is usually more necessary for this reason than sectioning the rear, although it seems like most people do them both at the same time. Another idea to even them up would be to section less length out of the rear than the front. Again, not something that is commonly done, but there is no reason that it couldn't be.