IGNORED

New 73Z owner-need help with key code

LouSalazar

I just purchased a 73Z in fairly good condition. I have already enjoyed getting several interior features to work again. I have 2 keys, one that says Nissan Motor on it and one is a copy. Neither key unlocks/locks the 4 locks that the owners manual tells me it should. (the original owners manual was in the glove box) I understand that Nissan can cut a new key if you have a key code. I've looked all over the car and can't find what appears to be a key code. Do any of you know where to find the key code? Does Nissan have a VIN database that could give me this information? Thanks.

If the '73s are like my '71s, the key code was hand-written on a small paper sticker attached to the inside of the glovebox door. I can't say for certain if it can be found anywhere else on the car.

There was also a spot for the dealer to jot it down on the inside of the cover of the Warranty and Service booklet, as well as on the owner info page in the back of the owner's manual. But in my experience, the dealers seldom noted them in those spots.

You say the key won't work in any of the 4 locks -- does that mean it DOES work in the ignition? If so, there's a really good chance that the ignition lock has been replaced at some point, and even cutting a new key to code may not help. That might work all the other locks, but not the ignition.

Arne, thanks for the info. The owner's page in the owner's manual is not filled in and I couldn't find anything inside the glove box. One of the keys opens the driver door and glove box. It will start the car, but won't shut it off. The other key operates the ignition fine, and the passenger door and tail gate lock. I would like to get one key that operates everything.

Pull the door, glove box and deck lid locks out of the car - and take them to a Lock Smith, along with the key that starts/turns-off the ignition. He can re-key the locks to work with your best key. (then make you a new spare).

FWIW,

Carl B.

I just had new keys cut for my 1973 240z. I took all the locks off (2-doors, hatchback and glove compartment) and brought them to a Locksmith. They have cataloges , give them the Year, Model and they can llook up the key's becuase the locks have ID numbers stamped on them. He made me a New Master set that works eveything. Also, he reconditioned the locks so the flaps and tumblers work slick ! It was well worth the $80.00 I spent... good luck. Mark