IGNORED

Replacing/Fixing Door Panels

Duffman

I have completed the body work and paint, have had the engine rebuilt, and am in process of having new suspension parts (struts, springs, bushings, etc) installed this week. Also, replaced the 4 speed and R180 with a 5 speed and R200 diff. Next, much to do on the interior ... :ermm: I feel pretty good about sourcing everything but the door panels. The PO put in speakers and trashed a lot of the remaining door panel hardboard. I am trying to figure out my best options. I was hoping to find some used panels with poor skins but good hardboard and just recover them. I was also looking to see if anyone made new repros, but the only option was an Ebay provider and I am not sure if he has any more.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephen

I bought door panels off ebay just to get the hardboards and covered them with vinyl from datsunrestore. If I were to do it again, I would have put a thin bit of sheet metal underneath the the holes to reinforce the metal clip areas.

The black vinyl I took off was in okay shape for the stuff I've seen for 240Z's if anyone needs just the vinyl.

Hey Stephen & anyone else. I have been looking into the possibility and requirements to develop a reproduction of the 70-78 door panel structure. They are very unique to say the least. Do you think there would be much interest in an exact reproduction of the panel structure (assuming a reasonable price), or are folks pretty much making do with whats available?

Thanks for any input!

Bryan

Bryan,

I'd definitely be interested. My panels are in good shape, luckily, but I did buy a set of replacement panels (the hardboard is pretty soggy, but the clips and skins and everything else is good). If I can donate anything to the cause, just let me know.

I was over in your neighborhood just this weekend.....my mom lives in Kingsport, and the family went over for a visit.

Brian

David, are you thinking about offering your panels for sale? I checked out the thread on you project and they do look great! From the photos of the finished product, I'd say they look good enough to use just as they are. Maybe even customizing them with a touch of paint to your liking!

Rob

Stephen,

I am in a restoration process aswell. You may want to get in touch with MSA. I just sent mine to Orange, California and MSA sends the panels off and they get totally reworked. The process takes about 7 days once MSA gets them and then they will ship back to me. I told them that the PO had cut out speaker holes and one of my corners was not in good shape and they said that was the way they normally get them in. The total cost was about half of new interior skins.

Mitchell

Just heard back from Les at Classic Datsuns, he will recover but doesn't have time to repair the panels. Am interested to hear back from MSA and see what they say.
My panels are OK. I just need the panels recovered.