IGNORED

208z engine into a 260z

mars23z

First I know this topic has come up in the past. I just bought a 280z engine with an n42 head with 70k on it that i want to use until i build up my l26. What I want to make sure is will I be able to use my intake on the l28 so I can use the carbs (the ones on the l26 came from an early l24) from the l26? I read somewhere that the early efi fire all the time compared to the sequential firing in the later ones so I thought I might be better off transfering the SU carbs. Also I would need a fuel pump and Iam trying to keep cost to a minimum right now. Plus I really like the SU carbs. Anyone care to add and tell me what to do? Thanks Chris

manifolds match up, exhaust match up just use the fuel pump you have it will be fine, already done this one, no probs!! Oh use the right manifold gasket, cant remeber which it is though!!!

I installed a 280 ZX engine in my '73 and am running the SUs , that were on the old L-24 . No problems there either . there is a remarkable difference in performance and I think you will like the difference . The crank and stroke of the L26 is the same as in the L-28 the difference in the blocks is the bore size. the F-54 block has a different casting in the water jackets but other than that it also is alike. The L-28 , dished pistons , F-54, flat top pistons in the NA configuration and dished in the turbo version. Keep you present fuel pump it will be what you want with the carbs . In my Z I found the 54 needles to work the best. I tried different ones and came back to the 54s . I have headers and large exhaust and a street cam and thought I would need richer needles but found that was not the case for me. I live at near sea level . Gary

Thanks for the responses guys. Thats what I love about this site lots of helpful tips from people who have already done these things. I am looking forward to the swop. Now that we are on the subject witch would you build up the l26 or the l28 I will use carbs with what ever I do. I think I will prob do the l26 just so the original motor is in the car on the other hand I dont ever plan to sell or show it so I guess that isnt that important. So is one better to modify then the other? I thought it was interesting in the poll on this sight the n42 head is voted #1 and the e88 was voted #2. So either way I think it will be good. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help. If anyone was watching e-bay I bought the L28 engine with N42 heads with 70K on it . I paid the buy it now price of $225. I talked to the guy and if its what he says I feel thats a good price he said it doesnt smoke and runs strong I guess Ill know soon enough. I guess even if the engine is shot I have the original L26 and now this L28 that I can make one good engine from. If you had the two and was planning a rebuld anyway should the two be combinded or just stick with one or the other? As I said earlier I was planng to rebuild the L26 and use the L28 until I was done, but now after reading all the post on the subject I am confused on what would be the best solution. I want semi stock a slight increase in HP is always welcome, but I still want reliabilty (HAHA) I only drive this car in nice weather and in North Western PA that is a rare thing however I drive it every chance I get. I have decided to use SUs in whatever I do. Is there any real disadvantages to the dished vs flat top pistons? I know copression is lower in dished but will I even notice in a stock engine? Thanks again Chris