IGNORED

Understanding Car Show rules

hls30.com

To take this discussion to its logical conclusion I offer the following regarding ZCCA criteria for stock class judging criteria. Let's presume that my 1973 240Z is considered to be an absoutely stock car, as it left the dealership. Given this, the car would - technically - not be able to score the maximum number of points because it is being judged against how it was when it left the factory. To score the most points available I would have do the following: Coat the exterior in cosomline (sp.?); unfasten the seats, wrap them in the appropriate plastic and stow them in the passenger compartment; remove the carpets, roll them up, wrap them in the appropriate plastic, and stow them in the passenger compartment; remove the wheel covers, wrap them in the appropriate wrapping and stow them with the seats and carpet; plus I would have to affix the appropriate wax markings to the windows and windshield. Like I said this is an extreme conclusion to the ZCCA judging criteria about the car being as close as it was when it left the factory. If the ZCCA judging criteria does not have factors for these items, then it is not judging the car as it left the factory. I think the SCCA criteria for stock class would be more reasonable and preferred. That is, the car should appear as close to how it was when it left the dealership. Thank you for your time and giving this consideration.

Ah, a jailhouse lawyer.

For judging situations stock has been considered to be as it left the factory but without any dealer options installed (in a running condition ie., ready to drive).

Car Show suggestions from the guy who wrote the guidance manual, do whatever you think is right for your convention. The ZCCA primary concern is that it take place with as few issues as possible. That said, the only real ZCCA item on the board is the judging of Zs not people's choice, not t-shirts for judges, not nothing else (see above as to issues or problems).

Plan, organize, and manage an efficient event and you've done your job. You have little control over the judges, judging, rules, etc. Your job is framework.

Once you've done that you can do whatever pleases you for everything else.

Bob, I understand what your are saying. Marketing plays an important part, The last fellow that I spoke with at the show mentioned the same thing. He told me that most would not know of the car's originality without an onsite media blitz. For instance, The owner of thte car that won the stock 240z class had mirrors on the ground below both engine and gas tank, a display of datsun publications set in frames, old 2 page magazine ad spreads set in frames, and an easel containg a display board with information on his car. Brilliant!

Now, my car was nowhere close to the condition of his z. Maybe someday. But there were alot of people that looked at my car and commented that it was perhaps the most "original Z" at the show. And for me, the biggest plus for the day was not the chance of getting an honorable mention, but being able to share my car with other z fanatics. So I did learn something, and this thread is invaluable with the information presented by all.

Happily, I was invited to show the car at the Muckenthaller show later this month by an organizer that attended the WCN.

Randy,

Congrats on being invited to the Muckenthaler. I have participated in that show several times and it is a very nice event. They go out of their way to expand the Japanese car focus, not all concours do.

Have fun at the event and send my regards to the rest of the Z owners with cars on display.

Bob