IGNORED

Selling Z-Cars?

DougN

Food for thought/discussion -- not meant as a slam on anyone!!

I have read with interest where people have made the tough decision to sell their Z, and all of them state that they will get another one someday.

However, in thinking about this, our 240Z's are currently over 30 years old, and will likely be over 40 years old when these folks try to replace the Z they sell today.

How many good condition Z cars will be around 10 years from now? And for those left, how much will they cost? If I were thinking of selling my 240Z's, I would definitely factor in this information.

For example, if today you can sell a good condition Z car for $10K, but in 10years it will cost $20K ~$25K to buy it back, is it really a good idea to sell it now if you really want to own a Z car in the future? Even if you sold it and invested the money wisely, would you even be able to cover the reacquisition cost of the car?

Based on this, if you really want to own a Z car again in the future, would it be better to find a way to keep it, and perhaps suffer a bit in the short term, or sell it and hope the price of good condition Z cars doesn't appreciate like other classics? What is the smartest choice?

Again, this is not meant as a slam/judgment on anyone or their life choices, but meant as food for thought/discussion. I certainly understand that sometimes life gets in the way, and people have to make tough choices they would rather not face.

Based on this, if you really want to own a Z car again in the future, would it be better to find a way to keep it, and perhaps suffer a bit in the short term, or sell it and hope the price of good condition Z cars doesn't appreciate like other classics? What is the smartest choice?

Yes. It would be better to find a way to keep it. But, life happens and people's circumstances change. Some folks need the money tied up in the car, some don't want the hassle/money involved in long-term storage, etc etc

There will be fewer Zs on the road in 10 years, but it's effect on value may or may not impact it. I sold my 1973 240Z in 1989 for $1800. I bought my current Z in 2004 for $2100, and it was in better shape than the one I sold! Of course, restored cars will be different, but demand seems to drive the value of collector cars more than supply (how many Camaros and Mustangs were built between 1967-1970? Millions? And we see their values now....) The real question is: "Will people still care about the Z-car in 10 years?"

Of course, I hope so!

$0.02,

Steve

I am one of those people that has to sell there z. I need the money and I do not have the space to store her. I understand your point, so this is what I have done. I have a local friend of mine that has over 20 z's in need of repair. He does not part them out and he does not like selling them. They just sit there and when he has the time he refreshes them and sells them. When I sell mine for my reserve on ebay, see link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Datsun-240z_W0QQitemZ300083780255QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am going to buy the best one one for the best price and start the whole thing over again. It took me 5 years to get the above z in that good of shape and I learned a whole bunch. My body shop friend of mine, will help me store and work on the car, when he is slow, so I have nothing to loose. I can not store such a clean car as my '73 there, unfortunately, I also need the money.

I know it sounds silly, but I do have the z bug and hopefully, it will mean on more z on the road when I am finished.

:nervous:

Chuck

It did not sell. Enigma was right about it only getting a bid of $5400.00. I have one other option to sell her to someone that will appreciate her. Otherwise I will have to find a place to store her for the time being.