IGNORED

Unusual Kenmeri QLD

Mat Big Hat

• 3 weeks later...

so it is a genuine gt-r body? i thought he was never able to prove this. if it is, then brian can resell the car to somebody in japan for big bucks

This is not a 240K But a Datsun Skyline GT-X2000. based on the GT-R of 1973. With the VIN # KPGC110. Vehicle came in from Port Moresby. (papers from Nissan) to Australia 1976. Three owners only. Garaged on blocks, for 7 years Club plates for last 2 years

Origonal 6 1/2 factory wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, GT-R rear spoiler, GT-R wheel flares,GT-R front grille and tail-lights. With oil cooler in grille. Trim has no marks except for depression where driver arm sits on drivers door. Duco has some small imperfections. This car has been a display car for some years

Engine is RB20 with tripple Weber carbies on purpose built manifold.Still running electronic ignition. Mated to all steel 4 spd gearbox. All gauges including tacho are working to this motor. Interior is all black with over-head console. The dash is not wood grain but alloy finish, as is the centre console Skyline 2000 badges on inside of door trim. Origonal body and S20 manuals with mechanicals details as well. In perfect condition.

No rust. All chrome and s-steel parts are near perfect. This car was used as daily driver for 9 years.

Must sell due to too many cars and a new project coming.

Offers near to the asking price. Contact for more photos etc There is also a 2 door as donor car for spares

it is one of the chassis left over from the GT-R production run (hence the KPGC110), so they used the left overs for the early skylines.. i don't think it has the flares built into the bodywork, but the core chassis is GT-R, that is what i gather..

Not much doubt about the accuracy of the claim it is a KPGC110!

I've been advised by a former Datsun/Nissan dealer that Nissan did not use a serial number sequence unique to each body variant (this policy varies from manufacturer to manufacturer).

Instead each body was sequentially numbered regardless of the prefix so the body immediately before Ray's KPGC could have been something as basic as GC110-005369.

The point is that #005370 is early & would indicate a true production date in the first months of 1973, possibly March or April, which supports Ray's statement that it is a 1973.

Since the GT-R in KPGC110 form was available in Japan at least through the first half of 1973 I doubt very much that it was a 'leftover' body shell.

Why it got to Port Moresby and with an L20 would be an interesting story that we are unlikely to ever know.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there gentlemen! The facts are getting somewhat forgotten here with some of the excitement.

With all due respect to the former owner - and now the new owner - of this car, I'll try to make some objective observations whilst still being polite.

it is one of the chassis left over from the GT-R production run (hence the KPGC110), so they used the left overs for the early skylines..

Since when did this become a "fact"? Does anybody really believe that Nissan had several thousand C110 GT-R bodies hanging around in a corner of their factory waiting to become something else???!!! Let's get real here, please!

The GT-R models ( unlike our beloved S30-series Z range ) were very well documented right from the start of their production run, and the chassis numbers of all the C110 GT-Rs sold to the general public ( and even the ones that were not ) are well known to arch enthusiasts and marque / model experts in Japan.

i don't think it has the flares built into the bodywork, but the core chassis is GT-R, that is what i gather..

I think you may have been misinformed? The C110 GT-R model had special high-clearanced rear quarter panel pressings that were spotwelded to the inner arch panels, and these are quite clearly visible when the ( FRP ) rear overfenders are removed. I don't believe the car in question left the factory with these rear quarters, and the overfenders seen on the car now are not factory-fitted items.

Not much doubt about the accuracy of the claim it is a KPGC110!

It clearly has a VIN PREFIX of 'KPGC110' - but the body serial number does not conform to the KPGC110 sequence ( it is WAY too high - the C110 GT-R never got past three digits ). The body also seems to lack many of the C110 GT-R-specific details ( especially in the engine bay ) so - let's be clear about this - the VIN prefix on the car doesn't make any sense.

I've been advised by a former Datsun/Nissan dealer that Nissan did not use a serial number sequence unique to each body variant (this policy varies from manufacturer to manufacturer).

Instead each body was sequentially numbered regardless of the prefix so the body immediately before Ray's KPGC could have been something as basic as GC110-005369.

I don't know where this guy got his information, but - and I'll try to be polite about this - it is just nonsense. All Nissan VIN prefixes ( certainly in the case of the S30-series Z cars and the C10 and C110 Skylines ) had their own body serial number sequences. Hence we would - theoretically - be able to stand outside the factories concerned and pull out S30-00030, HLS30-00030, PS30-00030 and HS30-00030, as well as GC10-000051, PGC10-000051, KPGC10-000051, GC110-000051 and KPGC110-000051 etc etc. There was no mixing-and-matching of body serial sequences across VIN prefixes - why would there be? How would that make any sense?

The point is that #005370 is early & would indicate a true production date in the first months of 1973, possibly March or April, which supports Ray's statement that it is a 1973.

#005370 is "early" for what VIN prefix series though? I don't get what you are saying here? 'GC110' VIN prefix production started around September 1972, but 'KPGC110' VIN prefix production started around January 1973 according to marque & model expert records ( and Nissan themselves ). Are apples being compared to oranges here?

To cut a long story short, all we really have here is an anomalous VIN number and body serial number combination, and a body that was ( reportedly, as it has been greatly modified since then ) factory fitted with running gear and other details that did not fit the VIN prefix. There are a lot of questions about all this, so please let's not kid ourselves that we are looking at a real C110 GT-R here, and let's not take too seriously the idea that somebody could "....resell the car to somebody in Japan for big bucks......".

Alan T.

The manufacture date of the car is August '73 or thereabouts. That obviously would not fit into the time frame Alan laid out for 100% true GT-R builds. And again there are numerous discrepancies in the details of the car. What does appear to be the only sure thing is that the car has a KPGC110 VIN as assigned from the factory. But any assumptions after that do not really apply.

Do any of you guys buy toy cars? Like Hotwheels etc.? I have a rather large collection myself. Nissans only of course, but from all brands and all sizes. My point in this is that I have on occasion bought one with a "backwards" paint job. Or one having wheels that were reportedly not available. Accidents happen in any type of mass manufacturing. Most are nothing more than a dinner time conversation. Some get out of hand. That is what I consider this. The car technically has a "GT-R" VIN. But it lacks much of the defining aspects that make a GT-R. So is it a real "GT-R"? Depends on who you ask. If you apply the usual critique of car collectors, no. The car never had an S20, and most likely did not have factory flares. Hard to be a GT-R without those. To the rest of us who are not as critical, yeah, why not. It's a clean car. It's a '73. It has a KPGC110 VIN. And the flares and fenders can be worked to closely match the original. But the car will most likely only be worth slightly more than a comperable condition KGC110 because of the curiosity factor.

Brian

Since when did this become a "fact"? Does anybody really believe that Nissan had several thousand C110 GT-R bodies hanging around in a corner of their factory waiting to become something else???!!!

I am sorry, but if you are going to quote me, then how about you quote the whole thing? in no way did i say that this was a FACT! merely my understanding from what i had heard..

I don't believe the car in question left the factory with these rear quarters, and the overfenders seen on the car now are not factory-fitted items.

i am sorry.. i thought that is what i just said? that this car didn't have the moulded GT-R fenders.....