IGNORED

240z Audio System

red_dog007

Well, I am checking out an audio system for my 240z. I am not going to get anything fancy, just some cheap speakers that will play my music.

I already have a CD player that I am going to use in it, but am now checking out speakers.

What I need to know is how many speakers came on the stock Z? When I was cleaning out the interior and taking everything apart, I noticed that in the rear hatch there were speakers set up, so that is 2 speakers for the rear. Now I have an interior panel kit, that on the very back of the hatch, the panel that covers up all the wires to the headlights, it looks like I can put two more speakers on that thing.

Though looking up front, I did not see any place where a previous speaker was. Nothing on the dash nor the doors.

So basically did the stock Z only come with those two speakers in the rear hatch or am I missing something?

From what I've seen most 240's came with one speaker from the factory. It was mounted in the rear hatch area on the left side, behind the plastic panel (in the area near the hatch strut mount). I believe a second speaker was optional, mounted in the rear hatch area on the right side, again behind the plastic panel. There were no stock speakers up front in the dash or in the door panels. And, I don't believe there were stock speakers mounted in the rear hatch itself.

My '73 had aftermarket Pioneer speakers mounted to the rear trim panel that covers the taillamp area. The speakers were mounted in plastic enclosures that were screwed into the plastic panel over the little access panels.

I removed the old Pioneer speakers & enclosures and installed a pair of new Pioneer 6"X9" triaxial speakers. The new speakers are mounted in boxes, one for each speaker. See the photo in my gallery:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9924&cat=500&ppuser=6323

Did you actually see TWO speakers mounted in the rear? To my knowledge our 240's came with the latest in Hi-Fi AM technology and ONE, yes ONE speaker in the hatch mounted on the driverside between the wheel well and taillight panel pointed directly across to the right side of the car. Far from desireable.

When I pulled mine apart I found the original 5.25" Hitachi speaker hanging out but disconnected. The PO had hacked up the door panels for some crappy 4" Pioneers and installed a Panasonic Tapedeck. I have since replaced them with an awesome Clarion AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA with built in Flash Memory to hold a few hours of music... It's sweet! I pulled the Pioneers for new Clarion 4" in the doors HUGE difference worth every penny. Where I ran into issues was trying to replace the original 5.25" with new Clarion 5.25" 3 ways in the rear. First I was going to have to make a braket for the passenger side, and second the Tweeters stuck out to far from the speaker and made contact with the interior panel causing crazy buzzing from the vibration. Plus those locations are not conducive to good sound. I intend on purchasing the 6x9 speaker panel from MSA or making my own or to accomodate two 6.5"s ... maybe?

post-2476-14150799539839_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150799540348_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150799540728_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150799541209_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150799541597_thumb.jpg

post-2476-14150799542126_thumb.jpg

There was only one speaker installed of the left side looking from behind the car through the hatch. The right side, there is an option to have one there. I just figured that the previous owner did something to it, as he tried doing work on it car, but never really finished anything. Figured it might have been a project that never got finished.

I am the orginal owner of a '73 240Z. It came with a mono AM FM radio (which I really wish I had kept for the restoration I'm starting...) I recall that Datsun had only just started shipping radios with FM capability the year before (but might have been somewhat earlier) I do know the orginal 1970 had only AM, and of course, it was still mono. The '73 shipped from Japan with only a single speaker behind the left rear strut tower. I vaguely recall that the opposite panel had perforations for a speaker. In any case I added a speaker in the opposite location when I replaced the orginal radio. It may have even had mounting brackets there. I'd check my car for you, but I'm out of town right now. You might post on the history forum here, as there are some amazing experts on this site that can tell you month/day/serial number when Z configurations changed.

--Bob

Yeah, I was thinking of some speakers for both sides in the hatch there. One were the original was, and other on the opposite side. Then I have this panel that came with the car.

http://blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0028.html

That interior tail like panel there on the bottom left. With that, I was thinking that I might be able to get a speaker for each side there. So then I would have a total of 4 speakers in the rear. Then I was going to run a few wires up the center console, and have a small, low powered bass right behind the seats. Either a bazooka tube, or like two 10in subs in a box.

I'm not planning on getting anything special, just some good cheap products that don't push too much power.

Then if there was spots on the doors or on the dash, I would have put some speakers there, but apparently there are none.

Yeah, I was thinking of some speakers for both sides in the hatch there. One were the original was, and other on the opposite side. Then I have this panel that came with the car.

http://blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0028.html

That interior tail like panel there on the bottom left. With that, I was thinking that I might be able to get a speaker for each side there. So then I would have a total of 4 speakers in the rear. Then I was going to run a few wires up the center console, and have a small, low powered bass right behind the seats. Either a bazooka tube, or like two 10in subs in a box.

I'm not planning on getting anything special, just some good cheap products that don't push too much power.

Then if there was spots on the doors or on the dash, I would have put some speakers there, but apparently there are none.

The taillight panel you linked to is a replacement panel and the two squares are just so you can get to the bulps without pulling the whole panel off. The first of the 240z didn't have the access and it was just a flat panel.

...I'm not planning on getting anything special, just some good cheap products that don't push too much power.

I would stress Quality over Quantity anyday, unless you just want to rattle panels instead of listen to music. Just keep in mind the depth of the speakers when placing them inside the rear side panels. If you install coaxial speakers they will most likely touch the panel and kill the sound. In order to utilize the potential of any speakers in those locations I would consider using baffels behind them.

And you are correct, no speakers came up front. Many have installed them in the doors, you just have to keep them small, in part due to the window cranks. And the better the speaker and bigger the magnets the more room they will take up. I tried to go with the Clarion 5.25" in the doors but I would have had to trim more metal than was previously cut and the handle would have contacted the grilles. Even with the Clarion 4" I still had to enlarge the holes where the PO's Pioneer 4's had been. Still the doors aren't that great of a location for front speakers, I would really like someone to develop front kickpanel speaker pods (a la Q-forms).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

On my '73 I kept the original radio and speaker and put them in a box. I bought an inexpensive cd stereo, an aftermarket box that mounts to the rear hatch plate and removed the light access panel. The box I bought from Motorsport for 149.00 has holes for 2 6x9 speakers. I also ran the two wires from the antenna and connected them to the new stereo. It is a much cleaner installation than installing the stereo in the glove box, which was my first idea.

On my '73 I kept the original radio and speaker and put them in a box.

Hey Ramses, what are your plans for the orginal '73 radio? I'm looking for one for my '73 that I'm starting restoration on. I'm the orginal owner, have made very few mods, and have kept the orginal parts that I have removed, like the flat top carbs. But for some idiotic reason I did not keep the radio.

If you are thinking of selling, let me know.

Thanks --Bob

Hey Bob,

I am going to keep it. I was thinking about installing it with a speaker making sure that it is working and put the aftermarket radio in the glove box. I have to figure out how to install it in the glove box. It will fit and make it more original looking. If I change my mind, I will PM you.