IGNORED

Outdoor Storage?

gbabcock

I was wondering if anyone else is forced to storage their z outdoors and if so, what is the best way to do it. As of now I have a top of the line budge cover, but I know that water is still getting all over the bottom of the car and a bit gets through the cover. I kills me because there is almost no rust on the car, and I'm really hoping to be able to keep it that way. Thanks -

If you have to store your Z outside try looking into a good professional car cover and even using two different car covers in conjunction with each other (a soft one on the bottom and a waterproof on on top).

I am also in the same situation and use my car cover when possible.

If you can, try to look into buying an aluminum car shed or possibly building your own with sides. Not quite a garage, but something to keep the moisture and elements away. When you have a situation like this you can try using this product:

http://209.35.116.13/

It seems like a good means, but I have never used it.

I hope this helps. If you have to store it outside and it will be getting wet then ensure the proper areas are sealed with body sealant and keep an eye out for the problem area. Also consider renting a storage unit (or finding a friend with an old barn) to keep the car during winter times.

Neil;

Buy a car-port. While this isn't a cure-all, it will at least keep the snow/rain off the car with the car cover you've put on it.

Since you mention it's a "budget" car cover, I presume it's the typical Size A CoverCraft possibly "Noah" fabric. You can buy a custom fit car cover, but you can expect it to be $200 plus, and take 6-8 weeks to get from the manufacturer. You might also check with some of our club sponsors and see if they might have something on hand.

I bought 3 car-ports from Costco, don't know if you have them up there, or are a member, but for $159 they are a 10' x 20' unit that are very well put together. Assembly is only a couple of hours for you and a buddy, or several hours alone.

You don't mention whether you're living in your own home or are renting. This normally isn't much of an issue, but you might check with your local zoning laws / ordinance rules to ensure you're not going to get Mrs. Grundy all cracked up about it.

Sometimes these are considered semi-permanent structures in some areas. As a home-owner you might be able to take the "risk" of Mrs. Grundy's complaints, or be able to fend of the local Neighborhood Association, but as a renter, you may not have those options.

2¢

E

Gregg:

I checked that site you mention, and these are the conditions they insist you agree to before you can place an order:

I used their system to select a Datsun 240Z as my vehicle, and came up with this:

Your vehicle requires a S2 size Car Bag:

Cost: $219

Shipping: $11

Total: $230

Before you place your order, you must agree to the following:

1 I Understand jacket is for "Indoor use only" - not for Outside use.

2 I will use a fabric cover before zipping vehicle inside the jacket

3 I Understand only a "dry vehicle" is to be put in the jacket

4 I will not put a vehicle with a hot exhaust system in a jacket

Emphasis mine.

FWIW

E

I keep my 77Z in one of those portable garages . Worth the investment and cost was about the same as the cover for the Z32 which must brave the elements. When I want to do some work I fire up the kerosene heater outside and point it at the opening which allows me to accomplish something during winter.

I leave my boat covered with a breathable cover which is also covered with a large tarp suspended over it. When spring comes and the temperature hovers at the freezing point, constantly changing up and down daily, I get large amounts of condensation forming that comes out the drain. Your car if covered, will also collect condensation. I don't know if there is a way to prevent this unless the car is fully enclosed like E suggested.

This is a problem that I am going to have when the car is done being restored and I am dreading it as well. I purchased a cover from Big Country or Sky Country covers. It's the best one supposedly they make. It's alost completely waterproof comes in multiple colors, fits tight on the car, will not scratch. I also will be purchasinfd some of the things that collects moisture and keeps the car dry in the iside so I will be using it in the emgine compartment and interior when the car isn't being driven. Other then that I hope that works. But I am concerned. The suggestions fom the other guys are well worth your while if you have the room and it's zoned for those structures.

bought the 'carport' Enrique mentioned and have used it as a tent for outdoor parties.

$169 in summer of 2006 at Costco on the east coast.

VERY well made and can easily be used to store your Z. comes with tarp sides on all 4 sides to completely enclose and protect the car from the elements.

highly recommended!

Gregg:

I checked that site you mention, and these are the conditions they insist you agree to before you can place an order:

I used their system to select a Datsun 240Z as my vehicle, and came up with this:

Emphasis mine.

FWIW

E

I know this ... this was more in reference to if he had built his own shed (a semi-decent structure that isn't quite a garage).

Thanks for the replys - Luckliy up here in the far north I don't have to worry about permits for building (my closest neighbor is about 20 miles away anyhow), so the thought of making some kind of encloser has crossed my mind - my main worry is just the condensation that I get on the bottom and the only way to avoid this seems to be getting it on pavement of some type. Where are the areas I should be watching most for rust? Just drives me nuts everytime I look out and see it sittin' in the rain, or be it snow this time of year.

Unfortunately all of my cars except three of them live outside currently. The two best things you can do are:

1. Try not to park your Z over anything like grass or dirt or even flagstone as the moisture from the ground will definitely cause the rust to accelerate. You will see this in places like the door bottoms and such.

2. The car cover will help but don't skimp. I was lucky and ran across a $60 cover at Autozone around the corner from the house in Florida. The first time I put the cover over the '82 280ZX we had a 5 minute rainstorm that Florida is famous for and after the rain I checked under the cover and the car was completely dry! The covers only tend to last about 6 to 9 months in the Florida sun.