IGNORED

What's a 300Z Fairlady-can I have a RH drive car here?

truckkingstu

I've been intrigued by the prospect of a Nissan 300Z Fairlady, I've always liked the 300Z's, but wanted something more exotic, but not a wallet killer like a Ferrari, etc. I saw a '93 Fairlady on eBay that looked cool, supposedly it was in a movie. But the seller says it can't be registered here- OK-HELP!! Is that because it's RH drive or some other reason? anyone know how to get around this? I want to be legal, but I really dig this car. Most of the other Fairlady's are high miles, and alot of money...this ones pretty cheap, I guess because of the registration problem. If you have some expertise on this, maybe you can check out the ad and let me know what you think, there's only a very few Fairlady's on eBay. I'd hate to make a mistake and buy a car I can't drive..so..please..tell me what to do!!! Thanks!

Hi mate, and welcome to this forum. This forum is speicifcally for earlier generation Z cars but I think you will still get a bit of help.

The Fairlady Z (Z32) was sold in Japan in RHD. It was exported to other countries in RHD and LHD as the Nissan 300ZX. They are exactly the same car. Get yourself a nice 300ZX and change the badges if you really want to have a "Fairlady Z".

There are a few different versions and facelifts along the way too. Make sure you do your research into the models so you get the one that is right for you.

Same thing as with importing Skylines, Silvias, or any other popular Japanese domestic market car. The are not legal becuase DOT says there not. So you can't have one on public roads.

Buy a 300zx twin turbo and stick Fairlady badges on it. Same car, but you don't have to explain your self at the drive through window.

Be very aware that many (if not all) Japanese cars that are exported out of Japan to New Zealand have had the speedo's wound back to get a higher price. This seems to be the norm and our pathetic government doesn't seem willing to stir up the industry to get it above board. Fraud in every used car sales yard over here, guarranteed.

I suspect that any used import into the USA will be the same.

So, as the other guys say, buy a Z32 and obtain some FairladyZ badges from Japan and ther you have it, a differnent labelled Z32.

Aloha, and welcome. Having spent the better part of 8 years researching, I can tell you this much: DOT, EPA and NHTSA (check their web sites) have the final say-so on this . . . and they say "no." JDM cars do not meet a lot of US specs and must be modified by authorized people (registered importers) to comply with US standards. If it's not on the NHTSA list, you can't legally register it. That being said, the 93 Fairlady Z in question is a no-go. If you want a "Fairlady Z," buy a 300 ZX and change the emblems. If you want a more authentic look, pay someone big bucks to convert it to RHD. Don't listen to anyone who says they can get it registered legally - there isn't any way. This has been discussed in detail at the Skylines Downunder website regarding importing R23, R33 and R34 Skylines. The only "blanket exemption" is for cars that are over 25 years old. That's how my Skyline got to America.

Again, welcome!

Yea, "Federalization" is a big expensive legal hassle, that will go nowhere if the DOT says NO ahead of time. All the R30, R31 R32 Skylines, All the late model Toyo Crowns I see, are not registered and Not legally drivable on US roads. Last weekend I saw a cute little Nissan PAO (a retro lookback to the Cit 2CV, Fiats ect.) I asked the owner if he got it cleared. "No way!", he replied. "It's not legal and there was no way I could have got it through". "Fortunatly, It's not a Skyline, so it's not a target for the cops".

Meanwhile, If you imported Alfadog's C110, no one would bat an eyelash at the DMV and you could plate it with no hassle. I'd rather hae the C110, C10, SR311, P510 SSS Coupe, PS30, S30, HS30 than any R32 skyline anyhow.

well, you CAN get the r32, r33, and r34 into the states legally through motorex.net. but then you're paying 46K+ for a car that's 15 years old

Could. Motorex is dead. That was a shady business and the guy who ran it is in a lot of trouble right now. There are no legal Skylines ( or other JDM car for that matter ) coming into the U.S. and won't be in the forseeable future.

Could. Motorex is dead. That was a shady business and the guy who ran it is in a lot of trouble right now. There are no legal Skylines ( or other JDM car for that matter ) coming into the U.S. and won't be in the forseeable future.

Except for 25+ year old ones!!

(need to make it clear just in case ebay people are watching LOL)

Except for 25+ year old ones!!

(need to make it clear just in case ebay people are watching LOL)

So, why aren't there more 25+ year old Skylines coming stateside? Is their worth in Japan just to great? I'd go into a good bit of debt for a C10 or C110 :D

I think buying a car from overseas is a big risk. Also, it's very difficult to deal with people in another country who do not speak the same language. That said, in the last couple of years there have been quite a few C10's and C110's go to the States. Their popularity is increasing - I guess most people over there simply still do not know they exist.

Our members Brian, Mikey, Matt, Miles are helping educate the country though :)