IGNORED

'70 240z in denver

Darrel

I was in Denver a month or so back visiting friends. While there I found a great Body/paint shop if someone out there is in need. EXOTIC BODIES there in Lafayette. 1265 rock Creek Circle 720 890 0952 . We rented a car next door to them. I was vary impressed with there work and just thought I would pass on the information . Gary

Well, I went and looked at the car and the best thing about it is the very low VIN (#1032) and matching engine (#4056) from 1/70 !!! The car was repainted at some point in time, perhaps about 10 years ago or so (poor job with overspray in many areas). The bumpers are in pretty good shape, the front one being almost flawless. Rear tail lights are in good shape, with just a little discoloration on the chrome pieces. The original black interior isn't too bad, with the exception of the cracked dash (no surprise there) both seats are original and have small tears. The headliner is pristine as well as the rear plastic interior panels, the console and the ash tray/lighter piece. Although, the rear defogger switch was gone. It has Keystone slotted dealer-optioned wheels that are in decent shape. The car shows no signs of ever being in an accident, except for a very small dent in the rear.

Now for the rust: I checked under the battery and the metal is a little thin, but no holes. There is some rust in the engine compartment located at the base of each strut tower. The right front fender is rusted out at the bottom as well as the right rocker panel. The bottom of the left front fender is bubbled as well as the tops of both rear fenders. The floor pans are rusted through under both seats, but not in the floor areas. The driver's side being worse than the passenger's side (about the size of a baseball on the passenger's side and about the size of a cantelope on the driver's side). As I mentioned before the floors in front of the seats are solid. The spare tire area is solid, with no rust. This car has average rust of an early Z, not as solid as some, but not too bad. As mentioned on Craig's List, the car hasn't been started in 2 years. I understand that the fuel pump was clogged and the gas tank needs to be boiled. Has the "2400" valve cover and seems to be almost all original except for an older after-market AM/FM cassette player and a 5 speed tranny. It is not an A/C car. Overall, I would say that this car is a good candidate for a restoration, primarily since it is such a low VIN with its original engine and all the ID tags are there and clean.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after being on Craig's List for a month, it looks like the owners got the car started and lowered the price by $500 to $2,000/obo. I'm curious to see what's going to happen to this car. I hope someone buys it and restores it back to its original beauty (you gotta love the red/black combination along with the low VIN and matching engine #). Let's hope someone doesn't buy this one just for the parts.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the Craig's List ad was recently updated with the VIN info (#1032) after I explained to the seller what they had. Like I said on Sunday when I went to look at it, it's going to take quite an investment to restore this car, but with the low VIN, it should be worth it in the long run.

Did you tell them about the value of the low vin # to help them make more $$$ or so that they sell it to someone who realizes it as well and will not part it out? My guy is still interested in picking up a 240, but this one is not right for him because he wants to gut the interior and wants to Japanese turner the interior, I don't think that vin #1032 should have that fate.

Did you tell them about the value of the low vin # to help them make more $$$ or so that they sell it to someone who realizes it as well and will not part it out? My guy is still interested in picking up a 240, but this one is not right for him because he wants to gut the interior and wants to Japanese turner the interior, I don't think that vin #1032 should have that fate.

That's why they listed the vin number and went from $2200 to $2500. But since he hasn't had any takers it has been slowly dropping in price.

Hi folks,

I've owned a couple Z's in the past. A rust bucket 78 (that I wish I still had) and a POS 85 turbo (that I'm glad is gone). I finally decided to pick up another one a few weeks ago.

I'm here in Denver, but hadn't seen this on Craigs. I've been doing "Datsun" searches and this didn't pop up. This really has me interested.

I need your advice though. I don't have the time to restore it personally. There's just no way. What kind of money would I be looking at to get this thing into a solid daily driver? I'd be willing to take it all the way to prestine over time, but for right now I need to know what I'd be looking at to get the rust work done, and get the body solid. Likewise for the engine, I just really don't know what kind of investment I'm looking at.

I've really been looking for a daily driver that I could have fun with, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I hadn't planned on a serious project, but this looks worth it.

Sorry for the noob questions, but I found this forum and saw this thread, and well, now I'm a bit excited!