IGNORED

Off goes my baby...

xray

Steve, don't let the black primer be of concern. It's an inexpensive and time saving way to not miss anything. I've been doing this 31 years now and I know what I'm talking about. Black primer when wet will look just like a shiny black finish, and I think we all know what black will do for a finish (make it or break it). I feel like your Z is gonna be awesome, regardless of what color you use simply by the details in the photos. Not alot of shops out there these days that will perform that type of service. But if anyone is in the VA Beach/Newport News/Williamsburg area of Virginia and would like me to give your Z a look, give me a shout @ 757-877-1100 and ask for John (The Z Guy). Check out some thumbnails on my thread "A17 on a 280". Not a complete resto, but about a month long job changing color, installing all new rubber, glass,etc..

• 2 weeks later...

The interior and engine bay are painted!:classic: Aside from some minor runs and imperfections, it's coming along nicely. The color (as mixed by PPG according to their number and recipe) is 95% spot on (see the pic of the tool lid underside original paint against the rear inner fender wall.), the new missing just a touch of the green... Any thoughts on it? I know it may not be an exact match, but I feel OK about continuing the same color for the exterior. He's also going to paint the wheelwells, so that should look better too...

...Of course, having the black primer really sets it off--should look like 1972 very soon!

Still has to do the roof straightening using a stud welder and slide hammer to pull up the dents and then smoothing with filler. Hoping for a quick (but well done) end to this part of the restoration!

As always, opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

post-7009-14150799917519_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799918027_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799942953_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799943418_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799944031_thumb.jpg

Sweet. The floor looks every bit as good as a new car. To bad it's all gonna be covered with carpet, but excellent documentation for the enthusiasts in us all! Now, to go real overboard...I'd like to see you sand out any runs, dust nibs etc..and polish them up before covering w/carpetLOL LOL

Candyblue 2+2,

Don't think I didn't consider it! There are a few errors in the floorpan paint, but I decided to enforce the touch-up in other visible areas--under the rear deck carpet, engine bay, etc. Actually, it's not exactly correct as the paint went on before any sound deadener-like material (opposite of the factory application)...I may bring it back after putting some Dynamat on it...or not.

You were spot-on about the use of black primer to better identify waves and imperfections--that's what he told me as well. He plans on using a base coat/clear coat on the exterior for better durability and shine--he used single-stage elsewhere because the base coat wouldn't hold up well on its own without the clear...How well do you think the two different paint types will match up color-wise since they'll be mixed separately? I would expect them to be nearly identical in color, even though the overall finish will have some subtle differences. Sure would hate for it to end as two different shades of lime!

Thanks,

Steve

If your man stays with the same paint line, and I can't see why he would do otherwise. The color match should'nt be any problem at all. Also, as it looks like the door jambs and inner hatch jamb will be painted with the exterior, if there was a diffrence in color from the single stage to the basecoat, it would most likely be too subtle to notice. Thanks for asking, John

• 2 months later...

Back (finally) from the body shop...

10 months and 300+ hours later it's back and looking better than new! The BC/CC in original 112 lime looks so striking, especially in the midday sun. Now the fun part of reassembly will take the rest of the summer (have to take breaks to go to work, you know) and I'm sure my wallet will appreciate taking a break as well!

I hope to get "Zeke" back on the road by September 1, barring unforeseen delays...

post-7009-14150800609443_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150800609896_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150800610294_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150800610695_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150800611101_thumb.jpg

post-7009-1415080061136_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150800611614_thumb.jpg

Wow..fantastic work. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it end up costing? Im hopefully sending mine off shortly for the same prep/paint and I dont wanna be too shocked when I get the estimate.

That must be a great feeling...now you can put Zeke back together and get to driving it!

zak

It's great to see the new avatar! I know it was a long wait, but at least now you are in control of the timetable for reassembly. It looks great and should really brighten up the neighborhood! Whenever I see one ready to go back together, it helps to inspire me to get motivated.

Wow..fantastic work. If you dont mind me asking' date=' how much did it end up costing? Im hopefully sending mine off shortly for the same prep/paint and I dont wanna be too shocked when I get the estimate.

That must be a great feeling...now you can put Zeke back together and get to driving it!

zak[/quote']

Well....it cost a lot. I estimated 12k, and it came in over that by at least 20%. His labor estimate was 195 hours, and it took 380. Unfortunately for my wallet (but better in the long run) the body guy borders on OCD, is a self-described perfectionist and spent a lot of time getting every panel straight--a tough task when there's little structural support in the roof, hood, doors and fenders. I think I could've gotten it done for less, but not by much. Doubtful I'd be as happy with the result.

He still wants the car back to do some minor touch-ups once it's running. There's a small run near the passenger dogleg, and a couple small blemishes in the clearcoat which should come out fairly easily...

Ron,

Thanks for the support! It's very calming to have control over the reassembly timeline now that it's back in the garage. Of course, the less than fun aspect of it is sorting through all the parts that I've collected these past 10 months, followed by refamiliarizing myself with the nuts and bolts (and their respective locations!)...Starting bright and early tomorrow--can't wait!

Steve

Wow Xray,

I just wanted to chime in here. What a beautiful color. I, unofrtunately did not have the balls to go with something original when I redid mine. Hopefully your shop guys kept some of the paint. During my re-assembly, I messed up the paint in several places...Under hood, rear hatch support, front bumper brackets, rear bumper supports. My guy told me that after I finished ALL the mechanics, he will take her back and fix mine and his blemishes, while doing the floor pan sealant.

Good luck and keep us posted with pics.