alternator upgrades - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

alternator upgrades

Featured Replies

I was wondering if the alt from the zx is the best upgrade for a 260z. I can buy a 60 amp from advance auto that is made for the 260z but was wondering if that is the biggest or best for my mostly stock 260z

Thanks Chris

I was wondering if the alt from the zx is the best upgrade for a 260z. I can buy a 60 amp from advance auto that is made for the 260z but was wondering if that is the biggest or best for my mostly stock 260z

Thanks Chris

The alternator from the Z31, the 280ZX, and 78 280Z will work. HOWEVER, all alternators for Z cars 78 and later are internally regulated. That means you will need to bypass your external regulator or face some big-time issues with your charging system. You'll also need to install a diode on the alternator to prevent feedback issues that will cause run-on

Been there.

Done that.

Got the T-shirt.

The alternator from the Z31, the 280ZX, and 78 280Z will work. HOWEVER, all alternators for Z cars 78 and later are internally regulated. That means you will need to bypass your external regulator or face some big-time issues with your charging system. You'll also need to install a diode on the alternator to prevent feedback issues that will cause run-on

Been there.

Done that.

Got the T-shirt.

You do have to by-pass the external regulator, but I'm under the impression that you might not need the diode on a 260Z, only 240Zs. Could be wrong though...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
You do have to by-pass the external regulator, but I'm under the impression that you might not need the diode on a 260Z, only 240Zs. Could be wrong though...

You could also be right. I don't know what causes the issue. I don't think that it's because of the presence/absence of an electronic ignition. I have a Crane electronic ignition in my 240 and experienced the run-on.

Anyway, the diode is cheap. It's handy to have in case run-on is an issue.

  • Author

What about a 50 or 60amp alt is that better than stock?

What about a 50 or 60amp alt is that better than stock?

As far as I know, it only truly matters if one is adding electical/electronic components.

  • Author

I ask because my turn signals are slow and at a stop they sometimes don't work at all they work fine when i am moving

I ask because my turn signals are slow and at a stop they sometimes don't work at all they work fine when i am moving

That's an issue of resistance probably from a build-up of corrosion. Clean your switch, connectors, and bulb sockets.

Another solution might be to change out the flasher unit if you haven't done that.

  • Author

That looks awsome but for $199 i think I'll go with a 50 amp for $30

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.