IGNORED

Fitting an aftermarket steering wheel

Alfadog

Good idea Miles, I will try that out first before I start to get metal rings cut out and attached to the hub...I'm really happy with this wheel, I love it, thank you again!

Mustadd240K, no, that's a Japanese dash panel from a 2000GTX-E. They came from factory in brushed aluminium, after the GT-R was discontinued. The later 240K's also got these two warning lights (Charge and Exhaust Temperature I think). My original dash panel did not have these lights.

• 2 weeks later...

hey lachlan...i read the post kinda fast but jus wondering if you figured out youor horn not working problem....ive played with so many wires on different cars with no horns but managed to get them all working....

if your horn still not working...the nardi horn button might have 1 or 2 spade tabs (1) for ground and the other for power...most of the time the middle tab is power.

what i did on my nardi button, i made a ground tab, look at the pics so you can see the idea what i did, bascially i got a dremel and cut 2 slits and bent it to make a tab so i can plug a spade connector to it. with the ground tab, you can connect it to one of the 6 screws for the steering wheel for ground.

and for the power wire just connect it to the original horn power wire in the harness, if your not sure what wire it is, you can trial and error, grab some wire you think is the horn and ground it, it it honks then you got the right wire. if you still need some help email me at mikeseez@cox.net

mikey

post-7451-14150797955049_thumb.jpg

post-7451-14150797955373_thumb.jpg

post-7451-14150797955587_thumb.jpg

i run a quick release steering wheel hub so the wiring my look different than yours, but all you do it run the ground wire behind 1 of the 6 screws that bolt to the hub to the steering wheel and your ground is done, then hook up that power wire to the single spade behind the horn button and your horn should work, if not email me ill go through it with more detail...

mikey

Hi Mikey - wow - good post! Yeah we found (well, Mustadd did) the problem. Simply no ground being made! The little brass button was not making contact. I was thinking of different ways to do this, and Miles' suggestion sounded the best. So I took apart a few pens to find a spring that would fit! Sure enough I found one that was perfect. Fit like a glove. I'm just hoping it will continue to make good contact. It should... but the original hub I got should have fit in the first place.

So it's all working now! :) Thanks

No worries, my parents get loads of them for free.

But seriously, I doubt the spring will wear out. If anything, the copper/brass ring on the hub will wear out first. The best thing about this fix is that if it doesn't work, I can just take the spring out. Nothing's damaged or modified :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, finally started playing around with the datto again and got the steering wheel all finished up... think i put it on about 5 times before i got it perfectly straight other than that it was all pretty easy.

here's the pic

datto1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well, the datsun/nardi adapter (see previous pic) that i have has the turnsignal cancel posts spaced further apart than those on the original 240k wheel

i compared the turnsignal cancel post spacing on the nardi hub adapter to a 610 steering wheel, and they were identical

i also compared a datsun 610 hub adapter made by grant (a u.s. company) and the posts are further apart like the nardi adapter

so it looks like the 240k uses the same steering column spline as some other datsuns, but it uses different turnsignal cancel post spacing

alfadog, was the spacing of the turnsignal cancel posts on your aussie steering wheel hub adapter identical to the original 240k wheel?