IGNORED

GT-R differences

akwikz

Alright guys, I am looking for info on the visual differences between my 240K and a GT-R KPGC110. I know about the flares, spoilers, mirrors and grille. What I am after is any panel, headlight or taillight differences. I know a lot of these parts will be hard to find, but I want to gather everything to make it a good clone. Thanks

Brian

Brian,

The tail lights are different in that the GTR inner light has the red bit around the outside, and the white bit in the middle, whereas stock 240K has the red bit in the middle and white bit on the outside. Otherwise, the lights are the same I believe. I thought Kent's 240K already had the GTR lights.

Panels are different too, but this is only to accommodate the flares, and increased clearance for the wider wheels. You will have to trim the guards to fit the flares properly, so this essentially turns your guards into "GTR" guards anyway. Just make sure that they trim the inner rear panels too, as you might have clearance problems with wide wheels. It's a bit hard to explain, but when you see the inner panel, you'll understand the area that may need trimming.

Doors, roof, bonnet and boot lids are same, AFAIK. There are some interior differences, but these are beyond my areas of expertise on 240K's.

There are heaps. Some more minor than others. Where you draw the line is up to you. But a quick list includes:

- Badging (front grille, rear panel, side quarter, interior door, steering wheel centre, dash)

- Quarter vent and petrol filler cover

- Overfenders

- Rear "ducktail" spoiler (front was not standard, and not a sports option I believe)

- Front Bucket seats (not Datsun buckets, but similar)

- Fender mirrors

- Front grille

- Rear tail lights and outer plastic chrome surround

- White glass (I believe all 240K's came with white glass, but some domestic models got blue glass)

- Guage panel and centre console inserts brushed aluminium

- Steering wheel & gear knob

- No rear demisters

- Black windscreen wipers

- Different sill trim

- Also note that all GT-Rs were EARLY cars, and thus did not have any of the revisions (e.g. round rear reflectors, round air vents, different console etc.)

And finally,

- S20 ! LOL & driveline

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. I hope you appreciate this information. As you know it is not easy to find out let alone prove.

There are some other interior differences in addition to those Lachland mentioned, although I'm not sure if they matter so much aside from getting rid of the wood veneer. Some GT-R's had no radio, some had no heater or dimmer/emergency controls. Most have no clock or lighter. Somebody was mentioning that you can peel the wood veneer off to expose the brushed metal on the instrument cluster. I don't know if there's brushed metal material under the console wood veneer, but that obviously has to come off either way. BTW, I have seen at least one GT-R that had the glove box strip in brushed metal. Door panels seem to be similar to the 240K, and although some GT-R replicas use the brushed metal bottom trim that comes on the 240K, on some of the real GT-R's, they appear to be all black.

I would be very careful about making statements like that! What is your source?

Besides having no radio at all

Good point that I had forgotten, but yes some did not get a radio. I'm not sure whether this was an option or a later-model thing but I suspect the former.

some GT-R's had no heater or dimmer controls.

Are you sure? I've never seen one without?

Most have no clock or lighter.

Again, I suspect this could have been an option. But yes, some do not have a clock or lighter. From what I've seen most do though...

Somebody was mentioning that you can peel the wood veneer off to expose the brushed metal on the instrument cluster. I don't know if there's brushed metal material under the console wood veneer, but that obviously has to come off either way.

As I said in the topic, I do not believe it is the exact same finish, but it is close.

BTW, a few GT-R's have the glove box strip in brushed metal.

I don't think this is correct... where did you see this?

Door panels are a different design, but some R spec replicas use the brushed metal bottom trim that comes on the 240K, although the true GT-R's seem to be all black.

Yes, GTR's no panel down there. I don't see what's different about the design though?

Also, different rear seats (slightly!), rear parcel tray (no lines in it), slightly different design of steel wheel, different tacho, speedo and oil pressure guage.

If you have a read of this thread, and read through the PDF road tests etc you will find info that was relevant when the car was first released in 1973. Even though only 197 real ones were built, it may not have seemed like a big deal for an owner (back then) to add or subtract the odd genuine Nissan item to the car to personalise it. That change early in the cars life would be indiscernable from "factory fitted or deleted" today which may explain the anomalies mentioned. The assumption is the article writers got "it" right (the differences and similarities to the other 2000 GT's in the range)at the time.

Thank Murph for continuing to host this!:)

Jim.

Weren't the rear quarter panels different in the GT-R? I seem to remember reading on here years ago that the rear quarters were different?

Something about the line and the wheel arch, more clearance for tyres?

Is was so long ago.....

Panels are different too, but this is only to accommodate the flares, and increased clearance for the wider wheels. You will have to trim the guards to fit the flares properly, so this essentially turns your guards into "GTR" guards anyway

Precisely:classic:

Originally Posted by Alfadog

As you know it is not easy to find out let alone prove.

:)

Originally Posted by Alfadog

I would be very careful about making statements like that! What is your source?

:surprised

I promise to submit all my documentation to you first thing on Monday morning, "Professor M" :P

Seriously, we should exchange image collections like we talked about earlier.

If you have a read of this thread, and read through the PDF road tests etc you will find info that was relevant when the car was first released in 1973. Even though only 197 real ones were built, it may not have seemed like a big deal for an owner (back then) to add or subtract the odd genuine Nissan item to the car to personalise it. That change early in the cars life would be indiscernable from "factory fitted or deleted" today which may explain the anomalies mentioned. The assumption is the article writers got "it" right (the differences and similarities to the other 2000 GT's in the range)at the time.

Thank Murph for continuing to host this!:)

Jim.

Excellent information from Jim as per usual.

I had forgotten about those old articles.. and you're absolutely right. I think that information is just about as good as any official documentation released by Nissan. Very interesting picture showing the lack of heater et al!

I stand by my initial understanding of it though. That is, these things were an option (whether it was optional to have them, or optional to not have them I don't want to presume). The reason I believe this is that firstly, the vast majority of pictures of authentic GT-Rs (including very, very original ones) I have seen have had these things (sometimes one without the other). Secondly, the official Nissan dealer brochure for the car shows quite clearly the heater, clock, and radio.

And yeah the quarter vents of course - I had put these under 'badging' but you're right, it shouldn't really be put under 'badging'.

"Professor M" signing out--

My guess is that when you ordered your GT-R, you had the option of either a race or street version. A street version would of course come equipped with a heater, so perhaps enthusiasts would remove their heaters for effect (much the same way they remove the factory air box). Either that or they found a way to register their race version and drive it on the street--Naahh!

BTW, I was in the midst of offering the minutia that the GT-R shift knob has a red color shift pattern when it dawned on me that the side "GT" badge is also red.

And ... the GT shift knob pattern is blue and the corresponding "GT" badge is also blue.

The GT-X knob insert is gold (I LOVE GOOOLD!) and the "GT" badge is ... well, you know the rest.

There's also green "GT" badge with red outline. I believe that came on the limited edition GT-XMAS.

I so love a trivia mosh pit ... Take it away Professor!