IGNORED

Automotive Photography

26th-Z

I photographed airplanes in high school & college. Peoplethought I was weird, standing on top of a 12-foot stepladder to get the higher-angle shots. But after taking a couple dozen shots of one airplane, I picked the one that makes people stop and look.

Sometimes I'd sit or lay on the ground to get a low-angle shot (especially lowered cars) and you can make the car look 90 feet long that way! That's why I can appreciate some of the pictures that people used to use for their avatars here; like one of a headlight.

Don't you just hate it when people buy those $400 nikon SLR digital cameras with 99 Megapixels to just take basic shots on the front quarter, then they show you and say "isn't that a great shot :rolleyes: You could probably do better with a a from the camera from the closeout store. :ermm:

Thanks, Chris for bringing this up.

thxZ

If you are referring to the International convention, then there is a photographer(s).

BTW, when you say 'great shots' on a digital camera, you mean ones that are properly fucussed and exposed. The content may not be great. Some people have no idea about things like composition, movement, colour (or lack of) contrast, shadows, and all the other stuff.

thxZ

Don't you just hate it when people buy those $400 nikon SLR digital cameras with 99 Megapixels to just take basic shots on the front quarter, then they show you and say "isn't that a great shot :rolleyes: You could probably do better with a a from the camera from the closeout store. :ermm:
Maybe. I recently sold my 7 MP Sony point-n-shoot and bought one of those entry-level Nikon DSLRs. (Only 6 MP, BTW.) I did it strictly for action shots. A good point-n-shoot is fine for pictures of things that are still, or moving slowly. But for things that move, a DSLR is MUCH better. Instant on, instant manual zoom control, and lightning auto-focus. I'm much happier with my DSLR, and get candid shots with it that I could never count on getting with my Sony.

But in general, I agree. It's not the camera, or the megapixels or whatever that makes a good picture. It's the subject and composition. If you're taking pictures of cars at a show, any camera will do as long as you know what you are doing.

I did sports photography for the school paper in high school. There is no way any digital camera could focus fast enough to get a shot of something in a softball game or a track meet. In fact, I usually pre-focused my lens to a spot I picked and waited for the right shot to happen. I've tried some of the SLRs and they didn't focus fast enough for me. Since the 35mm always on, I don't have to wait for anything but the right shot, and the battery doesn't run down. About the biggest reason I have a digital camera is because I can put 400 photos on it without loading in film.

BTW,the link in #10 has expired, so you might want to trty this: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/11678_photograph_your_car/index.html

After reading the introductory article in the link above, click on the "Related photos" near the top for some more lessons, especially stuff like not having a pole stuck in your roof or a bush growing out of your hood! ROFL

There's more to photography than a fancy camera or clicking off photos.

I did sports photography for the school paper in high school. There is no way any digital camera could focus fast enough to get a shot of something in a softball game or a track meet. In fact, I usually pre-focused my lens to a spot I picked and waited for the right shot to happen. I've tried some of the SLRs and they didn't focus fast enough for me. Since the 35mm always on, I don't have to wait for anything but the right shot, and the battery doesn't run down. About the biggest reason I have a digital camera is because I can put 400 photos on it without loading in film.
All true. At least with my DSLR I again have the option to pre-focus. Can't do that with your average digi-cam.

But I don't get your battery comment. My 35mm SLRs all had batteries, and they were always dead at an inconvenient time. Battery life on my D40 is outstanding, and the start-up delay is non-existent.

The batteries on my 35mm cameras would last for weeks. It's only needed to power the exposure meter, so they last a really long time.

The worsat thing about the chespr digitals is the wait to focus, and the lag after you press the picture button. If you'retrying to do movement, you either have to be lucky with the timing or pan the shot and hope it's not too blurred.

The worsat thing about the chespr digitals is the wait to focus, and the lag after you press the picture button. If you'retrying to do movement, you either have to be lucky with the timing or pan the shot and hope it's not too blurred.
Ummm, isn't that what I said? :stupid:
Maybe. I recently sold my 7 MP Sony point-n-shoot and bought one of those entry-level Nikon DSLRs. (Only 6 MP, BTW.) I did it strictly for action shots. A good point-n-shoot is fine for pictures of things that are still, or moving slowly. But for things that move, a DSLR is MUCH better. Instant on, instant manual zoom control, and lightning auto-focus. I'm much happier with my DSLR, and get candid shots with it that I could never count on getting with my Sony.

TomoHawk,

I have experienced the lag, but not the blur-this shot was taken several years ago with an inexpensive digital camera with the lathe spinning the wheel at 370rpm-as you can see, no blur at all- if fact, if I hadn't been the one monitoring the lathe and taking the picture, I would swear it was taken with the wheel motionless-you can see the green "fwd" button is depressed(I sent it to therapy to get help shortly thereafter) on the lower row of switches to the left in the picture(the top row is identical, but obviously none of those switches are depressed-they seem much more stable to me....

Will

post-4106-14150803326687_thumb.gif