IGNORED

Solved?

BadDog

OK it looks like I'm just talking to myself here, but for other's future reference: The resistance at the coil was within spec the last 2 times this problem has occured. When I tested the wire going from the negative coil terminal to the distributor however, there was a ton of resistance. Once the car cools down, it's gone. I'm attributing it to the PO's splicing of the wire, or to the wire occasionally moving and getting close to the exhaust manifold and/or coolant inlet thereby getting the wire really hot.

You haven't been talking to yourself, or have you? Must be you have because you have "rooted" out the problem on your own. :classic:

Been so busy lately, I haven't been able to answer much. Have been reading your posts, but you so far have found the answer before anyone had a chance to reply. That's good.

I'd try re-splicing the wire with a slightly heavier gauge than what is there, or if possible replace it from one end to the other. If that doesn't completely cure the problem, then the coil itself would be the next on my "suspect" list.

See, you don't need us as much as you thought. :ermm:

ROFL you guys crack me up....

And yes, I bought some wire to replace the wire completely, to rule out problems along the wire itself. I tested the coil's resistance when this problem happened and the coil was within spec, so I think it's fine. The resistance on the wire was really high, and didn't change much when I moved it around looking for a short. Seems like if I keep it away from the exhaust manifold, it's fine (I think I'll electrical-tape it to the distributor, just above the set screw (where it sits most of the time, until it gets knocked loose then gets hot)