IGNORED

Thinking of selling my 72 240, any interest/price advice?

Jayru

Hey guys,

So I’ve had my original owner, 82k mile, 72 240z for almost two years now, and i'm thinking of selling.

Honestly, the car is great fun, but I never drive it. It's not a car that I can/would take on long trips or drive daily because of many reasons (ride quality, noise, no A/C, creature comforts, etc.). So it just sits unless I’m buzzing around town on a Sunday. I really miss having something fun/fast up to the task of a DD.

I started my datsun/nissan adventure many years ago with a 300zx twin turbo, and have owned two over the years. I'm seriously thinking of returning to my roots. I really love those 300zx's, and it's a car I can drive every day (in comfort with all the accessories/amenities and power I can handle).

So am i crazy? Should I reconsider?

Here are some specs on my car:

72 240z, Aprox 82k miles, bought from the original owner (by me), I have the original owners manual and service book.

Drivetrain:

Original 2.4l & 4-speed trans/rear.

Motor runs strong and fires right up.

Electronic ignition from the later 280z, MSD coil (still have the whole original points/dist setup)

Converted to a new internally regulated alternator (have the entire original ext. setup)

New Battery

Complete tune up done, carbs balanced and adjusted

Boiled and sealed gas tank with all new filler neck/gas hoses throughout the system (and overflow tank), New sending unit & fuel pump.

New Brake Master Cylinder, Clutch Master & Slave Cylinder, SS clutch line

Body/Exterior:

Lime Yellow (repainted in the late 80's) quality job and the paint still shines/looks great. Almost all the body parts were replaced with fiberglass though - Hood, fenders, headlight buckets, rockers, and quarters, all fiberglass. The rust was cut out & treated from the quarters and rockers and the fiberglass bonded over. Obviously there's some scratches/dings/etc. but overall it looks great.

New fiberglass front spoiler (have the original setup)

Usual Surface rust on the floors/battery tray in some spots, nothing major (still very solid, no holes!)

No Rust! Frame rails, etc.

New MSA Power antenna (uninstalled)

Wheels/Suspension:

New 15" Koing Rewinds, Brand New tires (forgot the brand) less than 150 miles on wheels and tires. Still have the Original steel wheels with like new tires and 4 original Z hubcaps (I’d rate them good to great condition).

New Tokico 5 way adjustable struts with matched Tokico springs (rear installed, front still in box).

Poly bushing kit, new in box except for rear bump stops (installed).

Interior:

(All original) black interior, original UN-cracked dash, small rip in the drivers seat (almost unnoticeable), otherwise in great shape. Rip in center console arm rest. Original rubber 240z floor mats.

I have all the original parts for anything i upgraded, even the original front/back bumper guards.

I also have a ton of spare tune up/ignition/carb/gasket/etc parts that are too much to list here.

So what is a fair asking price guys?

I don't know about asking price, but you really do have a beautiful car. I imagine you'll regret it soon after you see it drive away.

Think about selling it as you drive it around town and see how the idea sits then.

I do know what you mean about creature comforts. Mine is a daily driver that is hard to deal with here in Savannah with the temperature being in the mid nineties with no a/c. However, IMHO, the pros far outway the cons.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.

Yes it is the car in my gallery. Don't get me wrong, i do love the car. I think i just want something i can enjoy more on a regular basis.

Still undecided at the moment...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i just bought about $550 worth of stuff for the car today so it looks like i'll be holding on to it for a while :)

Once i pulled it out of the garage and drove it, i was hooked all over again...

Well, i just bought about $550 worth of stuff for the car today so it looks like i'll be holding on to it for a while :)

Once i pulled it out of the garage and drove it, i was hooked all over again...

I was at the same place in my Z ownership about 3 weeks ago. My 73 is still in my garage thanks to the great advice of the good Z owners in this fourm.

Dude, you are crazy! You will regret selling it.

Let me tell you, I have a '72 240 that I take out occasionally, and a 1966 Jag E-type that I take out about never - I will sell NEITHER of them. The Z is running, so I can tool around in it, but without air, I barely do. Jag needs some minor engine work, but both of them just make me smile looking at them. I have owned 5 Harleys, each one I've sold I regretted, until the last one which I sold to purchase the Jag.

Gogriz - I too long for a VW Bus. It's a strange attraction I have with them...I got a kick out of your post since I thought I was the only one that liked those...