IGNORED

'70 Rust-Free Arizona Z Going Cheap!

BD , Congrats. I haven't been following this thread and just read your last post. You will find the POR to be much harder a finish than powder coat . Plus you would have to bake the entire car to powder coat the floor. POR is great stuff , however , if you haven't used it before , remember what I said about a hard finish. It is even difficult to sand . I do NOT recommend that you use it on a surface that you are intending on painting over for a finish . Like a fender or hood . It is just too hard to sand and there is no need. I used it extensively in my Z and am vary happy with the result. I did my floor pans inside and out and shot it into the frame rails and every cavity also on the inner fenders and fender wells. It is VARY important to use the products they recommend for preparation . If not prepped correctly it will peal off like a decal. I used it in my engine bay , but sprayed ti-coat primer over it . It is the only primer that will stick to it . Unless you prime over it while it is still tacky . It is great that you were able to find such a great car like this . I hope you took pictures while retrieving it from the desert . I found my Z next to a barn , but didnt take any pictures , and I am sorry for that. If I can help in any way , send me a PM Gary:rambo:

I am using POR also in my restoration. BEANDIP has good advice above, and do a search and you'll find lots of good pointers.

I had new floors put in, i cleaned the metal with mineral spirits, then used POR's Metal-Ready to etch the metal, then I coated 2 coats underside floor pans. I also cleaned off all the old undercoating in the rear wheel wells, and front inner fenders and POR'd those also.

I did use their Tie-Coat primer on one inner front fender, then I realized Im just going to coat it with undercoating anyways...whatever you do, youll have to put a topcoat on any areas that will see sunlight or the POR turns color and breaks down. From the searches I've done, people either coat inners with black undercoating, or paint body color.

I am in the process of cleaning out the engine bay, and I plan on POR'ing that then topcoating with their Tie-Coat primer so it can be painted body color.

I want to coat the whole underside later, and even suspension components.

I would buy smaller cans of the POR, it will cost you a bit more, but you wont waste any that way! Also definetly use a filtered respirator and dont get any on you or you wear it for a few days. That stuff is nasty. Plug or tape ANY screw/bolt holes too! I painted over a screw hole in the engine bay and I had to use a hammer and pick to punch out the hole, its that tough. The surface has to be completely dry too, I took an air gun to it, then a heat gun then air gun again, and every time I found just a drop here and there in the seams. If water gets in the POR, its ruined. Even a drop of sweat while youre painting, im told, will ruin it.

Have a look at my gallery for pics, and let me know if I can help with more info!

Zak

How hard is it to get title for an old car? my guess is not hard.

I live in Canada, and have some rental properties. I have had cars abandoned on my properties and the rule here at least is that after a certain period that a car has been abandoned on your property, you can apply for title through the governement. once you have that title, its pretty hard to deny.