IGNORED

Numbers matching Series I early 1970

Who said anything about getting angry?
No one, I guess. To me the term "bitch him out" implies some anger, or at least be a bit demanding, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, Chris. Different idioms in different parts of the country, perhaps.

Ok, I made it back home in one piece. No where near the trip that I took to New Mexico to get me 73' but it was a good hour drive there.

The car needs help, but overall it is really solid! I didn't get any keys with it and the ignition had been removed so the car could be moved. So when I got home I pulled the dead battery and swiped the ignition switch from my 77' parts car, hooked it up and.....IT RUNS!!! Really good too! Sounds great and doesn't smoke. Revs really quickly and has a throaty burbley tone to the exhaust.

Now the clutch doesn't work and the brakes are gone but it runs well!

As for originality and completeness, it is OK......has Series II dash and gauges that don't work. Everything else seems to be original Series I, right down to the aircraft style seat belt buckles and round chrome coat hanger, seat too.

Engine SN matches the data plate under the hood but it does have a 5 speed installed vice the original 4 speed. Original color was a yellow-green color. I guess it was gold, I will check the paint code later again. Couldn't really make it out before.

Well here are a few pics, sorry for the poor quality. I had already put her to bed in the garage when I took them. I think with a few $$ put into here she will be back on the road in no time. I will sport her around town even with the munched fender!

post-8081-14150797429637_thumb.jpg

post-8081-14150797430257_thumb.jpg

post-8081-14150797430877_thumb.jpg

post-8081-1415079743143_thumb.jpg

Already tried the fresh new key from my 77' parts car, no joy. I think the keys are different, the 70' has a one-sided key it looks like. I will try to squeeze back there and pull the panel. The seats don’t fold forward and I am a pretty big guy so it is going to be a challenge. Thanks for the advice.

Looks good! Wrong valve cover, but still, pretty complete.

As for keys, the Series one cars had separate single-sided keys for the ignition and everything else. A bigger flag-shaped key for the ignition, and a small key for the doors/hatch/glovebox.

Ah...the key discussion. Do a search in the archives! Here is what is stock for your car. The silver egg lobe shaped keys are ignition and they come in two different lengths depending on which side of Mt Fugi the sun was on when the ignition was installed. There are three different types of door and deck lid keys. One key should fit the door, deck, and glove box - and again - your car got whatever was being installed that day.

post-4148-14150797434971_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797435068_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1415079743516_thumb.jpg