IGNORED

Electric fan or new fan clutch/shroud for my 240z?

Jayru

Northern Utah (Wasatch front - SLC center, Ogden North, Provo south) summer daytime temps run in the 90's with some triple digits thrown in for good measure. Low humidity "it's a dry heat". We're in the desert.

Yes, do the ceramic headers too. Both my current 240Z and my '73 lets me know when it's too hot out. Don't know how much difference humidity makes to a car but I guess Panama has way higher humidity than we have in Utah.

Ya, I know that area - raised in Idaho Falls, Grandad lived in SLC. I've driven past Layton 200 times... Do they still use Hill AFB?

Still, if he has a heat-soak / vapor lock issue, it may or may not have anything to do with his radiator or fan. Hence my question.

(Personally, I haven't seen an e-fan setup that moved as much air as the clutch fan in proper working condition. (haven't ever experienced the Taurus fan setup though). I switched to a Koyo 240Z radiator in my Early 260Z and it cools better than anything else I've used - daily driver, stock A/C blasting (cuz raised in Idaho) on a 115 degree day, L28ET with 12PSI and an intercooler, stock 280ZX clutch fan on the ET... Wrapping my exhaust manifold and down pipe made a big difference in the under hood and floor/trans tunnel temperature. But, like you said we have little-to-no humidity on the west side of the Rockies. Maybe couldn't do that with the humidity in Central America, but that's where ceramic comes in. The difference between here and the Wasatch Front is 20+ degrees and it doesn't cool off here when the sun goes down summertime.)

16 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Ya, I know that area - raised in Idaho Falls, Grandad lived in SLC. I've driven past Layton 200 times... Do they still use Hill AFB?

Yes, Hill AFB is still active. The f16's have been replaced with f35's. I golf on a course that is just on the east side of Hill, man those planes are loud but very fun to watch. There's a gal that heads up the f35 demo team and what a gas to watch when she's out practicing!

I do know how hot you get in the summer. I've had flights delayed out of Phoenix because of heat making the air too thin for lift on the wings. I spend the winter in St George and sometimes I'll come down for golf in the summer because prices are low, can walk on any course and the courses are in great shape getting them ready for the winter (much the same as in Phoenix).

I have a good friend in Idaho Falls who's an old VW person. I pass through there every year on my way to Island Park for an annual fishing trip with some old work buddies.

• Like 1