IGNORED

240Z Radio Bracket?

z-ya

I pulled the radio out of my 72' for the first time. It had an aftermarket Alpine 80's vintage dual shaft style radio. The previous owner had fabricated an aluminum box to hold the radio. It was just sitting in there. Is there a bracke thtat should be in there to hold the radio? I'm putting in a new Alpine unit that has a standard DIN chassis.

Thanks,

Pete

There was no "bracket" per say. The factory radio in a 240 had screws that went thru the dash side supports, if you got the heater panel out you know what I am talking about. A DIN chassis will fit thru the factory opening with som mild sanding to open the hole up a bit. Use the flexible bracket thingy that comes with the new unit and put a 90deg bend at one end. Attach it to the back of the radio with the supplied screw. Now you will have to cut 2 to 3 holes worth of metal off the other end. Bend the bracket so it has a slight downward curv to it. When you slide the radio into the din chassis that is mounted in the heater panel (heter panel must be attached first) you can reach behind the panel (along the defrost duct area) and guide the bracket up and on top of the base for the heater duct box. Makes for a secure fit. The DIN chassis clips hold the unit IN and the bracket supports it UP.

I am trying to remove my AM radio. I have taken the console out. I cannot find the screws that hold the radio. It appears in the manual to have 2 screws that go up into the bracket. Will I need a short phillips screw driver to get these screws out? It is a real bitch working on something that you have never worked on. If someone can help me, I would apreciate it!

Zsaint:

The two screws referenced are the two bottom ones on the Heater Control Panel. Additionally, you also have to remove the knobs from the radio (just pull gently), then remove the two flat nuts on the shafts protruding through the Face Plate. You should now be able to remove the rest of the Heater Control Panel, and then the radio.

Russell:

There actually WAS a radio bracket in the later Z's, 72 and 73. This bracket suspended the back of the radio up and away from all the wiring behind the fuse box. The bracket is very similar to one used on the 260's, but has a narrower width.

E

I have the faceplate off and the 2 screws out that you mentioned. Do I need to remove the entire heater control panel? I thought you could just slide the radio out the back. Is this not possible?

I have the faceplate off and the 2 screws out that you mentioned. Do I need to remove the entire heater control panel? I thought you could just slide the radio out the back. Is this not possible?

Yes, you will need to remove the heater control panel. The easiest way is to remove the heater cables from there respective actuators, IE the flapper door, heater control valve etc. There should be 4 cables, once removed, just remove the remaining 2 upper screws from the heater control panel and slide the panel aft just enough to reach the fan switch connector, then it will come out completely. On a side note, while the panel is out, dont forget to clean and lube the heater controls and cables.

I'm 6'2", 250lbs, so I understand. I've had thoses cables disconnected before, and I'm dreading the fact that I have to back under there and do it again. Last time I did it, I took the passenger seat out, and layed on some old pillows on my back.

Pete

I can do most things but... I cannot do under-the-dash stuff. I just took my driver-side interior out to fix my antennae and speaker problems. The radio finally works. (I screwed up the wiring!) Now is the time to put the AM/FM radio in. I will see if I can hire this done. My SS check can handle this cost! (heh, heh!)

• 14 years later...