IGNORED

240Z Dash removal

HKSZ

Love to see it, this is exactly what I want to do to mine, I'll use a flexible bumper fibreglass and primer.How long ago did you do it and has it been durable?

Well I just did it like a week ago. The console looks so good guys!! and I"m not done with the dash. I'm running a test run on my parts car dash to see how that works before I go F'en up the good one. I'll keep you posted when i can find the time to finish it. Its hard to do when you work 70-80 hours a week!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

All done, dash removal was pretty easy I didn't mark the connectors as most are one fit only, pulled the fuse box with it.

I've restored the dash and really happy with the result, lifted the interior by 200%. All up the cost of materials was $70, in the end I needed two tubes of flexible filler, it was that bad. Check out the before and after.

post-4151-14150797655818_thumb.jpg

post-4151-14150797656136_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1415079765634_thumb.jpg

post-4151-14150797656541_thumb.jpg

post-4151-14150797656796_thumb.jpg

I contact adhesive the lifted parts of the pad to the frame, v groved all the cracks with a flap disc on an angle grinder and in the end took most of the brittle vinyl off the top.

Filled the cracks and top with flexible plastic bumper bar filler,sanded and resculptured the pad, wipe down with prep wash, spray canned with K&H flex primer then sprayed black K&H textured flexible bumper bar paint to finish.

Adjusting air pressure I was able to get the right ripple and texture.

Everyone thats seen the dash has been impressed, just a shame I'm now going to cover my handy work with a dash mat!

• 2 weeks later...

Simply drill out your VIN plate from your old dash, and having removed the old VIN plate from the new dash (if it hasn't been done already), rivet your new one in.

The key is to make sure that the VIN on the dash plate matches the VIN stamped on the firewall and on the other data plates (engine / door).

2¢

E

I say you should just transfer the VIN plate and leave the DMV out of it. In my mind replacing the dash should be like replacing any other component. After all, that's the number that goes with the car. If anything having a different number would be questionable. I think I've seen a discussion about trying to duplicate the appearance of the rivets in the past.

Its good to hear you are concerned about the VIN and keeping it accurate. There have been at least a couple club members that have bought cars with non-matching numbers. It sounds as though it could really present problems for you as a seller or they as new owners. Good job being conscientious.