IGNORED

Original Key Blanks

1 Bravo 6

Unkle should, as he posted "ALL Datsuns made past January 1971 had ONE key to fit all locks , a double sided key". That is why I posted the extra bit of information.

P.S. It's quite obvious Rick lives in Australia, and went to a key shop in Australia, which supplied key blanks for Australian delivered cars.. My comment was obviously in jest, you need to learn how to take a joke, mate.

Actually mate, there is a yellow and red smilie in my post that YOU should have recognized as an obvious tag indicating humor.

Can't we bury the hatchet? Hold your head still, now. ROFL

<<<

Further, with regard to the lockable fuel flap

>>>

Aussie mates, could somebody post a picture of what the lockable fuel flap looks like? I would like to buy one myself if anybody has an extra, would it be possible to ship to USA?

I would pay for this, thanks! Would like to see a picture though first.

Thanks guys!

Boyblunda,

Aussie Dave,

I'll be going into Rockhampton this coming thursday. I intend to purchase a set, be they original or not. I'll take a photo of them and post as soon as I get the film developed.

Dogma 420,

Yanky Dave,

This pic is the best I've got. Hope it's clear enough. To purchase one, I'd suggest you check out this web site;

allzparts@aol.com

Bloke's name is Warren. I get all parts, bits and pieces from him. Tell him I sent you. He'll charge you double ROFL

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

post-2520-14150796854065_thumb.jpg

Thanks a bunch Unkle and Carl.

1. Yes, Unkle it appears that I have one key for everything. And I contributed to confusion by referring to a fuel cap rather than flap. The flap has a lock, not the cap.

2. Carl, the description you gave of a reversible key got me to do some more thinking (that hurt) and experimenting. Sure enough, pulled the door apart and serviced the lock, used the key upside down and presto! I can lock my door.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

You can still buy these fuel door locks for under $40.00 usd from

one of the suppliers , I just can't remember which one , maybe

Vic Brit ? They are listed in the cat, and I phoned and checked

not that long ago . Have them set to your existing keys by a lock-

smith . This is a good way to keep that rare early fuel cap from

being stolen ! ( or save that rare early plastic twisty knob ) :classic:

Sine we're on the subject, let's see some keys. As so many of us have said that there are various combinations - 1 key, 2 key, double side, single side, what do they look like? I'll bet there's a lot of different key shapes as well.

Here's mine. Double sided one for the ignition, single sided one for everything else. I don't use them - I use copy keys and keep these in a safe place.

Thanks for the helpful pics Miles.

I know you have stated it clearly in your initial post, but I do want to clarify my understanding that it is the top key in each pic that you use as the ignition key, and the bottom key for all other purposes.

This would be the opposite of what I have on all of my Oz Zeds and from what I remember of my other Datsuns although RickZ (from my own State no less) has posted that he has a single sided key that can open his doors.

I have no idea why the Oz keys are different from elsewhere in the world and the reason given by Unkle for the change in USA keys certainly enlightened and interested me.

A single key for all locks might be an attractive feature for some Australians buying new ignition locks. Unkle, can a locksmith change an ignition lock to suit a double sided key as shown in the upper part of the above photo OR would we need to purchase a full lock set for everything on the car OR can we buy an ignition and key combination and have a locksmith change the hatch, door and fuel flap locks to suit the new key.

<<<

Further, with regard to the lockable fuel flap

>>>

Aussie mates, could somebody post a picture of what the lockable fuel flap looks like? I would like to buy one myself if anybody has an extra, would it be possible to ship to USA?

I would pay for this, thanks! Would like to see a picture though first.

Thanks guys!

Hello Dogma420:

If you want the lock for the fuel flap door - you'll need the fuel flap door from a Series I North American model as well - Your 72 should have a finger pull - that sticks out from the body - whereas the Series 1 North American Spec. cars - and it looks like the Aussi spec. cars have a flat fuel flap door - that is pulled open by the key in the lock.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

This may sound crazy, but you have given anybody that sees your picture

of your keys a copy all of their own ! One of these even has the code on it!

Your ''friend'' can now obtain keys , and take your car , no b.s. :pirate:

Anybody else want to give up their car keys to anybody ?

This may sound crazy, but you have given anybody that sees your picture

of your keys a copy all of their own ! One of these even has the code on it!

Your ''friend'' can now obtain keys , and take your car , no b.s. :pirate:

Anybody else want to give up their car keys to anybody ?

WHAT AN IDIOT! ! ! ! I din't even think about that! Thanks Unkle. Sorry guys, the pics are GONE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenz240z

My '73 240Z has a key for the ignition only, and a separate key for the doors & hatch.

Then someone, at sometime, changed your ignition lock assembly.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, perhaps the door locks & hatch lock were replaced on my Z at some point by a previous owner :paranoid: . The tamper-resistant screws that mount the ignition switch to the steering column are still in place :) .