IGNORED

Is a 240Z for me?

240Zgrogster

Hey everybody,

I'm new here and just starting to get interested in Vintage sports cars. I'm wondering if you can help me find one I fit in. I'm 6'4" and find many sports cars don't fit. Yesterday, I tired to squeeze into a 1974 TR6. I had good headroom, but there is no way I could drive that car as my knees were eating dash.

Are the 240 Zs any better re legroom for tall drivers? Any other sports cars you can suggest that accomodate tall drivers?

I'm looking for an entry level vintage sports car to purchase in the future. I like what I see and read about the 1965-1975 Porsche 911, 1969-1973 TR6 and 1970-1973 240Z. I think the wife would freak if I put down more than $15K initially, and I want one in good-excellent condition. Any ideas? Thanks!

Regards,

Stetch Armstrong

Hey Stretch...

You might be surprised that you could actually fit in the Z because of the semi reclined posture...it's a little freaky to know your bottom is only a few inches off the ground...I'm on the other end of the scale at 5'6" and I have plenty room....granted it is old school sports car aesthetic...I'm sure some of our taller Z-bros can testify that they can fit...have you tried one on for size yet?

:D

(BTW...welcome to the site, you DO realize this is a forum for Z ownership co-dependency? ;) For your budget you could buy 2 in good shape with plenty of $$$ left to do one mild and one wild, but the alimony would offset that...)

Im about 6'2 and i actually felt like i was too small in my z, that was with one spacer height on the seat post bottom. if i took all the spacers out im sure i would have felt smaller. my brother is about 6'5 and he said the interior space is huge felling and more than enough leg room. the 911 on the other hand arent quite as roomy.

Hey everybody,

I'm new here and just starting to get interested in Vintage sports cars. I'm wondering if you can help me find one I fit in. I'm 6'4" and find many sports cars don't fit. Yesterday, I tired to squeeze into a 1974 TR6. I had good headroom, but there is no way I could drive that car as my knees were eating dash.

Are the 240 Zs any better re legroom for tall drivers? Any other sports cars you can suggest that accomodate tall drivers?

I'm looking for an entry level vintage sports car to purchase in the future. I like what I see and read about the 1965-1975 Porsche 911, 1969-1973 TR6 and 1970-1973 240Z. I think the wife would freak if I put down more than $15K initially, and I want one in good-excellent condition. Any ideas? Thanks!

Regards,

Stetch Armstrong

I think you will find the room for you to be good. You should be able to fine a vary nice 240 for $15K.

Hey Greg,

I'm 6' 4" and I fit fine in my '71 240Z. My head is right on the head liner, but no problem unless I hit a really big bump, and then I just duck. Leg room in no problem at all.

If you are more interested in a roadster like the TR6, you should check out a 1968 through 1970 Datsun 1600 or 2000 roadster. No problem with head room in the roadster (even with the top up). Leg room is good too. Only problem with the roadster is sholder room is a bit tight (not a problem with the Z).

Let us know where you are located, and maybe someone will let you try their car on for size.

Y'all are a great help. It sounds like a 240Z is a good tall man's car. Can anyone recommend any publications that list 240Zs for sale in the Tampa area? I haven't had much luck so far with internet searches. I'd like to go drive one. I'm not in the market right now, I'm just trying to narrow down which car will be my mid-life crisis, You know what I'm saying?

-G

Hey Greg,

I'm 6' 4" and I fit fine in my '71 240Z. My head is right on the head liner, but no problem unless I hit a really big bump, and then I just duck. Leg room in no problem at all.

If you are more interested in a roadster like the TR6, you should check out a 1968 through 1970 Datsun 1600 or 2000 roadster. No problem with head room in the roadster (even with the top up). Leg room is good too. Only problem with the roadster is sholder room is a bit tight (not a problem with the Z).

Let us know where you are located, and maybe someone will let you try their car on for size.

SJGreen71,

Thanks for the steer to the 1600/2000 roadster. Any other roadster/convertibles you can recommend for tall drivers? I wish I had $30K plus laying around to get a Austin Healey 3000; those cars are beautiful!