IGNORED

hello from a newb

jayco

j, the new z-fan. the first car i ever drove was my uncle's 72 240Z with a 4-speed. now i'm in the market for a "refreshed" 72-73 240Z, also with a 4-speed. my uncle recently passed (RIP) so i thought it fitting to finally go after one, in remembrance. my dad also used to own a 78(?) datsun B210 (puke) - but hey that kinda means its in my blood, right? wow that B210 was slow as DIRT though. if i remember correctly, it actually said in the manual to NOT exceed 50mph, as it would be detrimental to gas mileage.

my daily driver is an 03 infiniti g35 coupe, red with a 6-speed and all the goodies. it was a cllllose heat between the g35 and an 03 350Z, but in the end the g35 won out because of interior luxury and a useable backseat. but hey it's still a nissan right? ;)

so anyway, that's my story, and i hope to learn a lot on this forum. i also post as jayco on the g35 forum www.g35driver.com.

-j

Good luck in your search. I was in the market for an 83 280ZXT and compromised with a 77 280Z because it was in my price range and I was desperate for a Z car. I am SOOO glad I did too, best compromise I ever made LOL. I think I would have regretted buying a ZX. It took me 6 months to find it though, so I hope you can find the one you want. This place has a plethora of knowledge to impart on you if you ever need it.

I would jump all over just about any good condition 72-73 240Z with a 4-speed and a manageable amount of rust. Color, options, etc dont really matter to me.

If you enjoy working on cars and want to do this as a hobby then go for it. If your goal is to end up with a very nice 240Z then be aware that you're better off buying the best that you can afford. In other words, pay $10,000 for a car that someone else has put $20,000 of work into. I know that's sad but I'm sure there's quite a few of us who have invested more than the car's actually worth. I'm probably close to breaking even on the money if you don't count my time.

Welcome!

Don't fret if it takes longer than you thought it would. It took me 4 years of on-and-off looking until the right deal came along. Don't jump at the first one. I eventually got mine- relatively rust free- for $500!

Oh, yeah, this forum is chock full of people who know their stuff, and may be able to help you find parts that are unavailabe in your neck of the woods.

Good luck!

yeah one things for sure, you can never get enough information, esp from this website.

When you purchase your car, after thinking you know, I DIDN'T! You really have to look carefully at all the popular rust points, see if there are additional paint jobs by looking in the right places, use one of those magnet thingies to see if there is bondo, etc... a LOT of awesome 'hide' work could've been done on the car you're looking at....

Good luck...once you find her, you'll love her regardless, but just remember that as you find things you didn't when you laid out your cash, the hard work and money spend goes up exponentally. You're warned! Mine is a money pit, and I bet there are other members on here who would say the same!

Good luck!

Good luck...once you find her, you'll love her regardless, but just remember that as you find things you didn't when you laid out your cash, the hard work and money spend goes up exponentially. You're warned! Mine is a money pit, and I bet there are other members on here who would say the same

What Dave said is really true here. I have more money in parts for this car than I bought it for in 75. Which is not a good comparison. Especially with all the time and enjoyment I have gotten out of this one.

Dave you know I have never had as hard a time writing a check to the parts guys as to the Dentist. Some things are just more enjoyable.