IGNORED

New Book about Datsun / Nissan History

26th-Z

Thought I would pass this along from Dan Banks on the IZCC e-mail list.

Hi everyone and Happy Holidays!

During Nissan's earliest decades of the 1930s and 1940s, significant influence into design and engineering came from an American fellow named William Reagan Gorham. He is credited by David Halberstam, writing in his epic historical work on Ford and Nissan "The Reckoning," as the Technological Founder of Nissan and also responsible for leading the engineering on the very first Datsun automobiles circa 1932. William Gorham moved to Japan in 1918 with his wife and two sons and spent the rest of his life there. He took Japanese citizenship, changed his name to Katsundo Goahamu, and was reverentially buried in Japan upon his death in 1949.

In 1950 a group of his closest associates wrote a book detailing his history in Japan. This book includes significant insights into the early automobile industry of Japan and also how Datsun and Nissan got their start. Only a limited number of Japanese language copies were ever produced, unfortunately making this important work inaccessible. Now, Gorham's surviving son, Don Cyril Gorham (who has his own amazing biography!) has completed a full translation of this book, entitled "William R. Gorham; An American Engineer in Japan."

For those who would be interested in learning a bit more about Datsun and Nissan, the early Japanese automobile industry and this man's contribution to it, please go to www.lulu.com, a self-publishing website. Put "Gorham" in the search and you can use PAYPAL or your other chosen form of payment to obtain your 178-page copy to your door for about $15.

I met with the 88 year old Don Gorham two weekends ago after his reunion trip to Japan. During that trip he met with an old colleague of his father's, Mr. K. and of course they talked about the book. There is considerable excitement now over this work finally becoming available to an English speaking audience and, again, all are encouraged to order a copy, which includes neat old pictures of early Datsun cars, engines, and engineering of the times.

Best regards all,

Dan Banks

Historian, ZCCA

Secretary, Z Car Club of Northern Virginia

1933 Datsun Fire Truck 33-27355

1971 Datsun 240Z HLS30-22155 (2/71)

1990 Nissan 300ZXTT (3/90) ZCCA Gold Medallion #15

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab "Z Puller"

• 1 year later...

I was at Barnes & Noble today and came across this book. This book was published in 2005 by Motorbooks and was written by Pete Evanow. Our very own Carl Beck is listed as a source (along with zhome), and the book is chock full of great photos (though I have noticed a few questionable captions and photo edits). Still, I think it would make a nice addition to any collection, if for no other reason than to show publishers that Z related materials are still profitable.

Here are the ISBN codes:

ISBN-13: 978-0-7603-2181-2

ISBN-10: 0-7603-2181-7

I paid 34.95 for mine (cover price), but I would imagine that it could be purchased cheaper online-I was just happy to find it, and didn't want to wait...

The title is "Z 35 years of Nissan's sports car"

post-11908-1415080066574_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800666775_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800667797_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150800668849_thumb.jpg