IGNORED

BRE Yellow Spring Rates

Dr_rich

Sorry I cant be more helpful. BUT since I have wondered forome time whcih aftermarket springs my Z has, Im guessing you may have given me some info. My springs are also yellow. Is there a way to definitely determine if they are BRE? I have thought they must be worn out by now, and had intended to replace them eventually.I know the strut inserts are bad.Do most folks agree the springs should be changed out after so long?

• 4 years later...

HLS30-30855 has the BRE springs - grey - front and blue - rear I don't know the spring rate though. I do have a question though - I cannot find my original installation instructions, but memory seems to recall the bump stops had to be trimmed shorter. Does anyone have information as to how much was cut off? I am replacing the bump stops (pretty well crumbled away over the years) with ones from MSA.

The bump stops are relative to the dampers in the car as you do not want to bottom out the strut inserts as it will damage the valving.

What inserts are you running?

As far a BRE springs. BRE did sell springs, but I do not recall them being color coded. Is there a reason to think these are BRE springs, and not a more common manufacture?

Ron

I purchased the springs new in '72 and installed them. I am using period correct inserts - Interpart Muhlhollands - purchased new this past year. I could have gone to newer style of inserts, but I did not want to replace the springs also - I read some posts that the newer inserts do not allow one to use the old style springs that lower the car as much as they do.

HLS30-30855 has the BRE springs - grey - front and blue - rear I don't know the spring rate though. I do have a question though - I cannot find my original installation instructions, but memory seems to recall the bump stops had to be trimmed shorter. Does anyone have information as to how much was cut off? I am replacing the bump stops (pretty well crumbled away over the years) with ones from MSA.
As far a BRE springs. BRE did sell springs, but I do not recall them being color coded.

The BRE (Mulholland) springs were color coded. I sold a NOS set for the early 260Z last year. The ones for the 240Z were color coded grey for the front and dark blue for the rear. I had a copy of the installation instructions, but I included them with the springs when I sold them, and I don't think I made a copy. I know that they didn't mention the specs spring rates though because I checked for that before I sold them.

-Mike

post-9102-14150809230367_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150809230891_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150809231327_thumb.jpg

The BRE (Mulholland) springs were color coded. I sold a NOS set for the early 260Z last year. The ones for the 240Z were color coded grey for the front and dark blue for the rear. I had a copy of the installation instructions, but I included them with the springs when I sold them, and I don't think I made a copy. I know that they didn't mention the specs spring rates though because I checked for that before I sold them.

-Mike

Huge Thanks Mike for posting those photos! I have a set of Mulholland springs which I installed on my 280Z in 1978. I removed them sometime around 1980 and did not mark front and rear. I've wanted to reinstall them with a set of NOS Mulholland struts I found but was unsure on the springs.

Now based on the colored dots I know my front from my rear :classic:

Stan

Edited by Z CAR 77

Doehring,

Thanks for the advice. I do talk to the Brock's on a regular basis. But not about products that they sold 40 years ago that don't apply to me...

There is a big difference in what BRE sold over the counter and their race parts that they installed on their cars. For instance, the headers they sold were manufactured for them my Cyclone and were completely different from what they raced with.

Some parts overlaped like the remote oil filter housing, but most did not.

My BRE replica does not run BRE/Interpart springs, although, now that I think about it I had a set of the blue ones in the past...