IGNORED

My Z garage item, best money spent!

LanceM

Having to move my Z around the shop was getting real old to say the least, pushing back and forth, sliding it with a floor jack, you name it I've done it/tried it. It wouldn't be bad if all I did in the shop was work on the Z but over a years time everything from lawnmowers to the daily driver ends up out here.

I've been looking at the various car dollies, all seem underbuilt or expencive or both. Being your typical cheap guy I could never bring myself to spend the money to buy store bought ones but have always been looking for the parts to do it myself. Well the time had come, I found these huge used casters for $2.99 each here, http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120215231571&item=1-2746&catname=trailer

These casters are something else, probably rated 1000# each, I wouldn't doubt that they were probably $25 a piece new.

I cut and welded up some 1 1/2" angle I had around and built the dollies. It is fantastic, I can truly push the Z around the shop with one hand, I couldn't believe it. If you need to move your car around in any direction this is the way to go.

post-4602-14150796351674_thumb.jpg

post-4602-14150796352151_thumb.jpg

post-4602-14150796352394_thumb.jpg

What's that red/orange looking thing on the stand beside the tire?:classic:

Ha, just what you think it is, a SBC :) Couldn't pass it up, buddy pulled it from his truck 010 020 4 bolt block, gave him 50 bucks for it. Was planning on putting it in a Blazer for my wife but then gas went sky high. I get 19 mpg in my 355 Jimmy, but she drives foot to the wood most of the time so it's just sitting now.

Harbor Fright has the dollies for $39.00 for two , 1000 lb capacity . I received a set of 4 over 2 years back and used them everyday during my rebuild. Now the winter has set in I am using them again. They are as handy as a floorjack , I highly recommend having a set.

Thanks Enigma,

I know what you mean, my first car repair years were in a gravel driveway, dropping a nut meant it was lost, next was a 3 bay loafing shed with plastic covering one side and a long extension cord supplying power, at least it had a cement floor but it was cold in the winter. 20 years ago I got lucky and was able to purchase some adjoining property with this building on it, many years later and with alot of work it is now a nice brightly lit warm work space.