IGNORED

Disconnected Wires in Steering Column

ddezso

Hey guys,

I have attached a picture of the wires along my steering column. As you can see there are 3 wires that are not connected. One is green and yellow, the other is green with white, then you can see another green and yellow hanging there with a connector on the end.

Some of my electrical symptoms:

• Depressing brake pedal causes dash lights to illuminate
  • No power to the 'flasher' fuse circuit under any circumstance
  • Headlights aren't very bright and the left one is dimmer than the right

I've looked at wiring diagrams but am not skilled enough to draw meaningful conclusions from them. Are there any obvious things I should go look for based on these specific wires being loose?

The car is a 1970.

Thanks

post-9919-14150796299681_thumb.jpg

The Green and Yellow go to the stop light switch. You should have two GY wires that will plug into the wires from the switch. If you only have one check that something is plugged into one of the wires that shouldn't be. The Green and white feed you taillights. That circuit runs through your ignition and combination switch. Check all of those leads for a wire plugged in wrong.

Good Luck. Chasing a wiring problem is tedious and frustrating.

Bob

72 240 Z

96 300ZX

Hey guys,

I have attached a picture of the wires along my steering column. As you can see there are 3 wires that are not connected. One is green and yellow, the other is green with white, then you can see another green and yellow hanging there with a connector on the end.

Some of my electrical symptoms:

• Depressing brake pedal causes dash lights to illuminate
  • No power to the 'flasher' fuse circuit under any circumstance
  • Headlights aren't very bright and the left one is dimmer than the right

I've looked at wiring diagrams but am not skilled enough to draw meaningful conclusions from them. Are there any obvious things I should go look for based on these specific wires being loose?

The car is a 1970.

Thanks

Bob pretty much identified your wires for you. You could have a very dirty or bad combo switch. That could account for the dim headlights. My headlights were pretty sorry until I converted them to operate off relays.