IGNORED

1973 Pricing?

darrel_s

Hi,

Fairly new to the boards. Looking to purchase my first 240z and was hoping I could get some advise on pricing for a 1973. The one I am looking at in town is in really good shape. Almost 99% rust free with very little modifications . It has been repainted, but not the original color. Also the carbs have been switched out with earlier round tops. What is a resonable price range for something in this condition? I have researched the NADA and other pricing guides but was hoping to get some real life purchase history quotes from people on the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Darrel

I bought my '73 240Z in 2003 for $300. The paint was rather faded, it had been sitting for 7 years, there was a bit of rust on the rear wheel arches, but otherwise solid. The original flat top carbs had been replaced with round tops. The interior was in good shape, seats were ok, most of the interior panels were good, but the carpet was shot. Oh, and the dash top was cracked.

The guy I bought it from had brought it up from Arizona and had planned to work on it; however, he apparently lost interest and wanted to get it out of his yard.

The price depends largely on where you live, what the demand is, and of course what condition it's in. Here in Cali, you can get a solid, mostly rust free , 1-2 owner 73' for between 5,000 and 7,000. Maybe a little more back East. Mine was listed on eBay with an unknown reserve. I was the high bidder at 5,800 but didn't meet the reserve so I called the owner to make him another offer. I ended up getting it for less than my bid on eBay because he wanted it out of his garage. It's a one owner, 78,000mi, rust free(for real), mostly stock 73' with round tops, 5-speed conversion, air dam, performance anti-sway bars, and old-school aluminum wheels. Now it's mine. Check out the pics via the link in my signature.

Darrel, read some threads here about the rust issues, while a quick look may not turn up anything that looks bad, you really have to dive under the car and check out the floor pans, rocker panels, wheel arches, battery area, etc. Many other areas that can cause you heartburn later. New paint will cover up some of these areas for awhile making the detective work harder. Didn't want to be a buzz killer, just give it a thorough check. All that aside, they are fun to drive and work on also. Welcome to the club!

Almost 99% rust free with very little modifications . It has been repainted, but not the original color.

When you say almost 99% rust free, where are you seeing rust? It has a nasty habit of hiding. Also, could the repaint have been to cover accident repairs or rust repairs? Examine closely before your bargain becomes a money pit.