IGNORED

Sign of the times

Mr Camouflage

Was talking to a fellow WA Z Cars member at the Z meeting on the weekend.

He said that he sometimes does some work out at Sims metals.

Sims Metals for those that dont know, are a scrap metal mob, that offer cash for old cars. They usually collect them with a truck that has a crane for picking them up, then they crush the crane down onto the roof to hold the car in place, and pick up a few other cars and stack them ontop of the other cars and drive them back to the yard where they are unloaded, and wait to be crushed into scrap metal cubes and, I think, sent overseas.

Anyway he was saying that he was there one day, and spotted a 240K coupe, it was a 5 speed manual, didnt appear to be anything wrong with it, apart from the fact it had been stacked ontop of a 240K sedan, and had another car stacked ontop of it, which had crushed in the roof.

If only the person that had called up sims metals to come and collect the car, had advertised it for sale in the paper instead.

I wonder how many other cars get crushed because the people that own them dont think anybody would want them.

It sounds like you need the equivalent of an ambulace chaser & used car salesman with a pocketful of cash to rescue the collectibles!

This kind of situation is where I would hope people get together to save historic vehicles before those too, go extinct.

Unfortunately, the JYs and recyclers get greedy and they don't care if they have a million-dollar antique or historical car on the lot- only that they can strip it and recycle it.

thx

Sounds typical, really walk through a JY sometime, really look at some of the cars.. Why are they there??? Many look much better than the car my wife drives :) When I was redoing my Blazer I went for some body parts, found one with less miles, less rust, and better interior than mine, had a sticker on the window, abandon vehical auction... Why couldn't they have abandoned it at my house???

I wonder where sims is located. A friend of mine stripped a 240k sedan some time ago, pretty much cleaned the whole thing out. Anyway, he had no use for an empty chassis after that so it was picked up by a supposed 'metal recycler.' Given the scant c110 situation in WA i wouldnt be surprised if it was his. A sad tale in any case. :disappoin

I think i mentioned it to you at the meet the other week craig, but ive heard many similar tales from the many different wreckers in perth ive visited in search of parts. Most just claim that 'no-one was interested in parts for these cars,' and so, after five years of sitting around, they get sent to the crusher...

my mate collects cars over here in ACT for scrap metal. He gets some beauty's some times and has a shed on his property full of cool cars that you cant believe people would get rid of, no datsuns but heres what he has that I want to buy a 1961 Chevrolet Impala with a six that has done a head gasket. A mint xm flacon with no interior, and an awesome ford customline that all that was wrong was it was missing a carby and a battery!!!! And this is just in Canberra. Some people are crazy!!! and with this craze of recyclying metal that is here in canberra peopel actually pay you $100 to remove old cars from your house there arent going to be any salvage parts left for cars in a few year, damn shame!!!