IGNORED

RB25 240z - Australia

Brycey

hey everyone my name is bryce and i just joined the fourm but im a regular on some australian based Z fourms ( www.newcastlezeds.com www.thezgarage.com )

anyway here is my little project, my 1973 240z, here are a few pics of how it was and how it is now, hope you like it!

when i bought it

010ra.jpg

028rd.jpg

049mu.jpg

054iu.jpg

img06539fq.jpg

023lv.jpg

015xw.jpg

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/8193/034sl.jpg

how it was a number of months ago

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/9803/img06750kv.jpg

http://img496.imageshack.us/img496/6820/img06738gs.jpg

basically how it is now

img17111bz.jpg

img17082up.jpg

some mods include

RB25DET

Garret GT30/40 800hp turbo with external tial gate and custom manifold

z32 300zxtt AFM, R200 diff center and complete rear IRS setup

Apexi Power FC ECU

R33 brake booster and master cylinder

R33 GTR front 4 spot disks and GTR 2 spot rear disk conversion

Greedy electronic boost controller and timer

Autometer 8 guage setup

R34 steering coloum and surround

genuine Nismo 740cc inectors

custom made intercooler

custom made fuel tank

custom driveshaft

full turbo 3 inch zorst system with dump, hi-flo cat, then splitting into a dual system towards he diff with 2 twin tip cannons on the end

thats about it for the mechanical side (i think, thats all i can remember off the top of my head) so after the mechanicals are done its off to the body shop for even more surprises! ahah i have a fair bit planned for the old girl. anyway let me know what you all think and if you have any questions then ask away! :) thanks for looking have a good one

(sorry that some pics are just links, iv posted to many pics, so if you click on the link the pics will show up)

thanks guys :)

twin tip cannons is just what i call them, not sure if thats the proper name, they arrive tomorrow so ill take pictures and show you exactly what i mean, bt similar to this

MUF-020_ME.jpg

same sort of idea, the ones i have orderd are ALMOST the same as that but more smooth, so they arnt exactly canons, just chromed twin tip mufflers :P

thanks again guys when i get new pics ill post them up

nah, i was considering it to have a Z432 look about it but i think i would prefer just having it just the normal way.

yeah i knew the wheel was out of a different datsun but wasnt sure which one, thanks for clearing that up :) but it will be coming off fairly shortly

i know it could use a clean ay, the whole interior could hahah, but thos pictures were taken the day after i got her home, and previously to me buying it it was unregoed for 15 years, but everything is getting taken care off :) its just a slow process and im just taking the mechanical first

Great car, hope to hear more about it as it progresses. Just a quick question though. Why didnt you do the bodywork (namely the engine bay) before dropping the rb25 in it? It just seems logical given that the car is in need of some restoration. Cheers,

Tom

Hey Brycey,

I used to drive past your zed on Scenic drive a few months ago and wanted to stop and have a look, now there is a 280zx parked there is that yours as well?

I drive a z32 to work and have a 260z (in the garage) being modified with a VQ30det in it.

Are you using a local engineer?

Your 240 looks good, it was great to see a 240 on my way to work as I don't see many these days on the roads.

Keep us informed with your progress and with pics please.

Rob

thanks guys :)

Why didnt you do the bodywork (namely the engine bay) before dropping the rb25 in it? It just seems logical given that the car is in need of some restoration. Cheers,

Tom

i know exactly what you mean, it seems very logical to do the body work before the engine work - which is exactly what i wanted to do, but i have heard many horror storys of people restoring older cars ( celecas, corollas, R31's etc) and they did the body work first, got it in pristeen condition then dropped it off at the mechanics, 3 months later its complete with gashes all throughout the engine way and around the guards, holes cut out for cooler pipeing etc etc. ofcuase the mechanic's ( im not sure who the mechanics are exactly) paid for the repairs but i thought, why take the risk? i mean if i get the body in beautiful condition then leave it at the mechanics for 5 months i think its highly unlikely that it wont get scratched hehe, but also it gives a chance for all the extra holes to get cut etc without having to worry about paintwork. doing it the way i have done it may seem a bit longer and complicated ( installeing everthing, taking it all back out then installing it again) but its the safest track to take i think, we will soon see! hehe

and plus, while the engine is sitting in my garage and the body is at the body shop, that gives me a good chance to rebuild the engine ( altho its only had something like 70,000k's on it) with forged internals :D

Hey Brycey,

I used to drive past your zed on Scenic drive a few months ago and wanted to stop and have a look, now there is a 280zx parked there is that yours as well?

I drive a z32 to work and have a 260z (in the garage) being modified with a VQ30det in it.

Are you using a local engineer?

Your 240 looks good, it was great to see a 240 on my way to work as I don't see many these days on the roads.

Keep us informed with your progress and with pics please.

Rob

oh wow! hahah small world, join a international fourm and you meet someone that drives past your house everyday LOL thats pretty cool. yeah mate that 280 is my daily driver, i think your on www.newcastlezeds.com arnt you? its matts old black zed but i have completely restored the interior in a different colour, replaced the whole brake system with new parts, fixed the intake, fixed the majority of the rust ( there wasnt much to begin with) and got the new 17's :)

im getting all the work done on the car at Kyles Conversions out at Awaba ( 10 mins from Toronto) and he will be using a local engineer, not sure who tho but ill find out for you (Y) kyle is also about to start on another 240 very soon, he will be installing the Lexus V8 quad cam, should be a good project aswell :)

iv had a passion for zeds since i was 4 when my dad told me how he had a 240 when him and my mum got married, iv been learning about engines since i was 10 ( still am, im a bit of a n00b with turbos but getting there :P ) during school i worked my holidays in a bakery doing the cooking at night then serving on some days and most weekends through the school term ( great money, and it helps when you know the owner! haha)saved every bit for my dream car, iv started a mechanics apprenticeship while in my HSC but the owner of the workshop is being really leaniant with me because its the HSC which is great, my first car is a 1998 4x4 hilux which i bought for next to nothing ( litraly) that im currently selling to pay back some of the loan i have taken out with a bank, but basically its always been my dream to build a weapon like this one, its in the progress so im happy :) i still have a fair chunk to pay off but i know its all worth it

but yeah, thats about it. when i get really low in cash and in some immediate debt then i sell some shares that i was given when i was born - but thats when worse comes to worse and iv been lucky because it hasnt happened to many times. but it also helps living with your parents, no bills to pay :) all money on the car hehehee