IGNORED

lighter flywheel...how much better ???

gator

Right now I am trying to decide if I should spend the extra and get the lighter flywheel high perf flywheel.

Can someone who has had the old heavy oem flywheel .. and then installed a light one please give me some feedback on if it was worth it etc. Also .. does it really make a difference if you install high perf braided clutch lines or just the regular oem type. Personaly I like the look of the steel braided lines .. but do they actualy perform better?

Thanks ..Bruce

The flywheel makes a huge difference, especially if you heel/toe downshift.

Stainless steel clutch line is nice but doesn't have the same effect as a stainless brake line. If you need to replace the clutch line anyway you might as well upgrade, but it isn't going to improve the way the clutch operates assuming the clutch line is in good condition.

How much racing / hi performance driving do you do? With a lighter flywheel, you will find yourself driving the car differently in traffic, etc. Less mass, quicker revs for sure, but a bit more revs needed when launchng from a stop to get the car moving.

Some people go for a Maxima flywheel which isn't quite as heavy as a stock Z flywheel, but isn't as light as the MSA light flywheel.

As for the S/S braided clutch line, your clutch pedal may feel a bit different (mine did) due to the different ID of the new hose compared to the OEM one. Little to no performance gain, but IMO a more durable part, and like you; I like the look.

Thanks .. would standard oem slave and master work fine with higher perf clutch?

What brand of clutch did you put in ? I am looking at centerforce 2 from motorsport with their light flywheel. Clutch express seems to have good stuff too.They were cheaper flywheel but more expensive clutch kit.

I have the www.arizonazcar.com clutch and flywheel. The wheel is 13.5 LBS ($370) which is not as light as some out there but I can start and not have to rev the motor in traffic but still have the benifits of the lighter mass. The clutch is nice too. If you are not racing there is no need for a fancy clutch, mine was $100 (now the are $120) and work great and the pedal perssure is better feeling due to the heavier spring plate. The oem master and slave are fine for the job too.

Here is my take on a lighter flywheel. You want a very light flywheel for road racing (Xcross). It revs better and you have less weight circulating around the crank to speed up and down during frequent shifting. Downside of this is it is harder to keep the car on the cam during starts. It wants to die when you let out the clutch. (especially twin/triple discs) If you are a drag racing fool, you want the heavier flywheel. It has the inertia to keep the revs up and turn the tires over. I remember a guy here that had a 40# flywheel he used for drag racing. He really stormed off the line. I used a maxima flywheel and then cut the outer ring off near the ring gear. We cut 4# off the weight and if I ever get it to run, I hope it works out. (Not a drag racer, yet!) :knockedou

As to the revving to get the car started in traffic, I don't feel that's a problem at all on a Z. My Z has a cam and 44's and the AZC flywheel with an ACT clutch, and I can drive it in traffic about the same way that I drive my Toyota P/U. No additional revving or slipping the clutch required. I've driven other Z's with light flywheels and never had a problem with stalling them either.

A friend of mine has a 510 with 44s and a Tilton flywheel with a Comp Roadster pressure plate, and his is damn near impossible to drive in traffic. I think the extra mass of the longer crank and the extra pistons is enough to maintain some driveability with the L6.

I agree with you on the L6 having more torque then a 4-cyl car. I think another item that must be considered is the rear end ratio. If you have a short rear end, you will not experience the problem of 'bogging' when you start out. If you have a 3.36 stock ratio, it will be a problem. I am running a 3.9 L/S so it is NOT a problem. I feel the stock flywheel is just fine for most street-driven Z's. If you want to lighten it up, just be aware of these situations.

My experience with a lighter flywheel, and my Z is a street driven car, is that it has some effect when leaving a stop but nothing like what most people have heard or read. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to leave a stop than with the old heavy flywheel. Of course I'm running 4.10 gear with the B model 5 speed. Anyway, if you like to do spirited street driving and like the whole experience of down shifting and such....then the lighter flywheel is certainly a plus item to install. The car will just respond to your input much better. However, if you have limited driving abilities, stick with the old unit and spend the money on gas. Like I've told people who have asked how I like the lighter flywheel, I always tell them....."I'd never go back to a heavy one!"

Thanks .. would standard oem slave and master work fine with higher perf clutch?

What brand of clutch did you put in ? I am looking at centerforce 2 from motorsport with their light flywheel. Clutch express seems to have good stuff too.They were cheaper flywheel but more expensive clutch kit.

I have those 2 items, and no complaints at all...stock 71 diff. 79 zx 5 speed,

pretty lopey cam as well. about the only issue i have at all is it wants to idle a bit on the high side close to 900-1000 or so. (if I want it to be stable in traffic)

if i try to go down to 600rpm, after a time doing stop and go driving it tends to stumble a bit at long stoplights, but im not sure this is all from the flywheel/clutch setup.