IGNORED

Car Dies after turning on headlights

TTDRIVER

Saro , reread Steves post. List the fuses that you installed where they had been missing. Is this a car you just bought ? Why were the fuses removed in the first place. I agree with arne and T-hawk. Now that you have energized the circuits again you are causing the short and discharging the battery. this is my 5c Gary

Beandip,

You guys might be right.

This is my car I've owned for about three years. My old engine gave up, so I basically restored the engine bay with everything new except the wiring. What I did was put a fuse in all the available locations in the fuse box located in the center console thinking that it needs to be there. This could be the reason for the short. I'll charge the battery and take out the excess fuses to see if there is a difference.

Thanks,

Saro

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that I tested the car out by letting it run and disconnectiong the battery cable to see if the alt would keep it running. As soon as I tried this the engine died. This way I knew that the alt was not charging the battery. Turned out that my voltage regualtor was bad. I just changed it and all is well. I wanted to thank all of you for helping me out. I finally got to drive the car around after two years. Man it feels great to be back.

Saro

Saro,

Thanks for giving us the update. Be sure to check the voltage at the battery with the car running. You'll want to make sure the voltage regulator is adjusted properly. By the way, Harbor Freight has the voltage meters on sale for $3.99. I was there yesterday. The closest one to you is probably in Pasadena.