IGNORED

Hi All,

Let me say Hi to everyone and I might as well get offside from the start, I don't own a Z car, not that I dislike them, it's just that I live in Sydney Australia and own something very rare and different.

My car is a HR30 Paul Newman Version Skyline.

It is very similar to your American M30 Nissan Infinity, but with an L series straight six.

My HR30 is powered by an L20ET six cyl 2000cc SOHC very much the same identical configuration to all the Z cars prior to the 300.

The reason I joined this forum is to gain knowledge of the L series 6 cylinder engine, primarily the L28 from the 280ZX turbo.

I would like to know what availability of TURBO inlet manifolds are like, as I am considering the L31 but in turbo form. I have an exhaust manifold (turbo) and might have an LD28 crank here in Australia, so with L24 rods and Z24 pistons I think I should be well on the way.

Can you advise what sort of cam I should use with this configuration as well and what is the standard 280ZX Turbo valve timing.

Cheers to all from Sydney Downunder.

Welcome and we won't mind the "oddity", you'll not stand out in this crowd.

There's a BUNCH of excellent mechanics here. Sadly I'm not one of them, but if it's information on the L engine, this here's the place.

But do us all a favor....post some pictures.

I think that most members will agree that seeing the different "versions" of vehicles that we might or might not have in our home countries is one of the more pleasant aspects of this site.

Welcome again,

Enrique

As Enrique said, Welcome!

(Don't let his post fool you. Enrique is a wellspring of knowledge, and the author of many of the best technical articles I have read!)

L28ET parts are pretty plentiful here in the states, I recon they may be a bit more scarce iny our neck of the woods. Don't know about shipping, but in a pinch, I've got lots of spares.

Most pople use the stock cam with a turbo head(p90(a)), but your project may benefit from something a bit different-I would have a look at the stroker buildup over at HybridZ.org.

Will

Hi All,

It is very similar to your American M30 Nissan Infinity, but with an L series straight six.

My HR30 is powered by an L20ET six cyl 2000cc SOHC very much the same identical configuration to all the Z cars prior to the 300.

The reason I joined this forum is to gain knowledge of the L series 6 cylinder engine, primarily the L28 from the 280ZX turbo.

QUOTE]

Welcome to the club . Are you contimplating on using the L-20 block with the L-28 crank? If so do some further checking because I dont think it will work . There is a member phred check in the members file and send him a PM He builds Z engines for raceing , he would know for sure . Gary And yes escanlon knows more than he is letting on . LOL

Thanks Guys,

I'm no spring chicken turning 56 this year, I have been playing with cars for a while now, but nothing like I'm entering into now.

Below are pics of my HR30 Coupe and Engine Bay so you can understand why I am now on this forum.

Just a couple of quick questions;

1. Can you tell me the diameter of a 280ZX Turbo Flywheel &

2. The size of the clutch &

3. Is the 280ZX Turbo clutch, the best that fits. &

4. Is the Turbo gearbox the same as the N/A box in ratio's etc.

The L series stroker I have researched a bit, my plans are an F54 280ZX block with either a stock L28 crank or LD28 if I can convince my mate to part with it. P90 heads are available in Australia, rare but still available, but the Turbo inlet manifold is like the proverbial rocking horse manure. As far as I can tell, the both L20et and L28ET turbo exhaust manifolds are both the same.

A stock F54 block has to be modified, as the HR30 uses a front pan sump, but that's OK I can do that.

Cheers,

Dennis

post-9226-14150795844256_thumb.jpg

post-9226-14150795844695_thumb.jpg

That does look like an L6 version of the Infiniti M30. Ours all had an electric sunroof and automatic trans with a VG30E or it might have been a VG30DE. Weren't they known as the Nissan Leopard in some parts of the world? I can only answer #4. The turbo gearbox (BW T5) had different ratios than the na trans. You can check all of the diferents transmission ratios here: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html

Lurch:

(You just gotta love that name.....I can still remember the show....wish I could put a sound bite on it, you know, "door creaking" and very deep voice slowly rumbling "Y- e- s- s- s- ?")

Dennis:

I like that grill on your car. Unfortunately I still don't recognize it's counterpart here in the U.S., but I bet that SBlake did and is probably drooling over your pic. Quick question for you, what are those little wedges on the top front of the bumper? I'm not familiar with them.

Enrique

(By the way, contrary to what Beandip and HLS30 have said, between them two and SBlake you have the more present members of the real MECHANICS on this forum. If they can't help you.....well, sorry to say, but you're really up river in Piranha Waters and your boat is sinking. Gary / Beandip and Will / HLS30 are just telling you I know sumpin just so you send ME the PM's. Like another character in another TV show (Hogan's Heroes), Sergeant Schultz; I say again.."Nuttin! I know nuttin......" at least about mechanical. Now ask me about bodyworking, or electrical and I'll take a stab at it.)

And before I start getting deluged with messages about who else belongs on the MECHANIC's List, suffice it to say that there is more mechanical knowledge about the Z and the L series engines on this site than in the editorial rooms at Haynes and Chilton. If I didn't specifically name you it's not due to anything more than my own private liquid Alzheimer's......Bacardi.

Enrique

I'm no 'real mechanic' by any means. Just an automotive hobbyist. Whatever that is. The M30 looked like this. They were only here for 3 years 1990-1992 IIRC. Ours was a 1991. Had a lot of problems and we traded it for the J30. This is not a picture of the one we had but it is on with the exact same appearance.

post-3797-14150795846346_thumb.jpg

Enrique,

They are "Headlight Washer Pods". The pump mounts in behind and centre of grille and controlled off the dash by a rocker switch & all the tubing is in the back of the bumper, but unfortunately, this pump is the first thing to go when mounting front mount intercoolers..

My nick was given to me years ago by a dance teacher, she was 4' nothing and I stand about 6' 5 so I was a bit that way to her, my voice isn't quite that deep but close.

These cars I have had a race bred version DR30 and it was powered by an FJ20DET 4 cyl 2000cc DOHC 16V Turbo EFI and they were very successful world wide. Nissan had a very quick version that hammered everything in Japans GT500 class in it's era that used a type of formula pacific engine.

Here in Oz we were under the impression that Paul Newman raced a DR or HR30 in the US very successfully. I know he raced Zed cars as that is well documented. Maybe Nissan just used him as a figure head to market this model.

Welcome aboard mate! Geez . . . I'm gettin an Aussie accent hanging around here. You are correct - the car in question was sold in the US as an Infinity M30 and here in Japan as a Nissan Leopard. The Nissan Leopard was a fairly high-end luxury sports coupe here, but Nissan took it to the US to be the low-end car in the Infinity line. It didn't last too long. Lots of technical information here and friendly folks who don't mind sharing. My Skyline has benefitted . . . . .