IGNORED

My Fellow Australians ...

Nigel Mulvey

I am researching the oft practised transplant of 2.8 engine into a 240z a project which I propose to do along with adding a 3.90 diff while I am at it. The plethora of information available on the subject originates principally from our Northern American cousins. The information I got from Brian Little's Datsun Garage says to obtain several parts from a 280Z, viz. the curved rear cross member, moustache bar, half shafts, drive shaft and front cross member. As I understand it this is because of the difference in size between the stock 240 diff and the R200.

My question is this. As we did not have the 280z in Australia where can I source the parts I need for this project. I know it is possible because I've seen plenty of L28'd 240's in for sale ads. Were the later 260's fitted with R200 diffs? If so, is this where I can source the parts?

Thanks in advance guys!

I have read somewhere that Nissan made a 3.9 in a R180...so no need to put in the R200 unit. Some members say that you only need a R200 if you are pushing serious ponies out...a L28 with mild cam will not be enough to trouble the R180....I'll be hoping I don't need to do the mod as well as NZ is the same as AUS, where very few 280's we shipped....and I don't fancy importing parts if I can help it.

Just what I read.....any corrections welcome.

• 2 months later...

I bought my 260Z already fitted with an L28 so I was lucky. Though I have wondered where the motor came from. I have concluded that it didn’t come from a 280ZX for two reasons: no EFI (they came with EFI didn’t they?), and no oil pressure sender unit, just a switch (didn’t all the z-cars come with sender units?). I can only conclude that my L28 came from a 280C.

eric

p.s.

I think all the 260Z 2+2s came with R200s in Australia (shouldn’t be too hard to find around the place). I think these R200s are 3.7:1.

Sorry for the vague answer, hopefully someone will correct anything I said that was wrong

I'm going down the same path at the moment as well (with focus on the LSD rather than ratio), if you find any info please post it.

There are R180 LSD's, just about every 510 owner seems to have one, they seem to get a lot of the R180 LSD diff's from Subaru's. Don't know if they will fit.

I have found one place that makes the LSD internals to fit into z R180's: http://members.optushome.com.au/amaxeng/five10/diff.htm

But it is really expensive

I bought my 260Z already fitted with an L28 so I was lucky. Though I have wondered where the motor came from. I have concluded that it didn’t come from a 280ZX for two reasons: no EFI (they came with EFI didn’t they?), and no oil pressure sender unit, just a switch (didn’t all the z-cars come with sender units?). I can only conclude that my L28 came from a 280C.

eric

p.s.

I think all the 260Z 2+2s came with R200s in Australia (shouldn’t be too hard to find around the place). I think these R200s are 3.7:1.

Sorry for the vague answer, hopefully someone will correct anything I said that was wrong

All these 280 engines originated from the 280c salon. Most wrecking yards will have a couple of these beasts around.

In most cases they will not have had a hard life as the 280c was an auto.

The 280c is has other donor parts on it, so have a good look around. I remember seeing a 240z with 280 motor and the original [280C] downdraft carbie once. It was obvious the owner had NO idea!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about diff's etc at this stage. Just get your motor strip & re-build or just and drop it in. It's a direct swap.

I have an L28 in my 240z, it was there when I bought it. I have no idea what it came out of.

Now I'm curious as to what it came out of.....

Anyway it has a F54 block and an N42 head?

My main concern is if it is out of a 280C how does this effect the redline. What is the Red line on the 280C? Is it as high as the 240? Or have I been over revving my engine :(

Thanks

Ozlime240Z

My main concern is if it is out of a 280C how does this effect the redline. What is the Red line on the 280C? Is it as high as the 240? Or have I been over revving my engine :(

Thanks

Ozlime240Z

Don't know where to start?

L28's came off the same line, it's possible that they changed heads between the C & the Zed, but that would be more for emmision reasons.

The only way to tell is to find a C and check the head. It would be a safe bet that it's all original, so it could give you a comparision.

Maybe someone else can give us the US combination of the L28 as it was fitted to the 280Z

Unless your L28 has been re-built, then I suspect that the redline would be the same, how long you would want to play at the speed is another matter.

It sounds like you have a nice arrangement there.

I don’t think I would be too worried about the over-revving (though the engine is clocking up the years now) Check out the following site:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/engine.html

According to the info there, you have the best engine block for the L28 upgrade. And since you don’t have a turbo head, you might have the flat-top pistons in it if you are lucky (I am not clear which ones did and didn’t have the flat top pistons here in Australia, and what the 280Cs had). The author of the above site pushes the P90 head as the best but from things I have read in the past, the N42 is a pretty good head itself (better than the 240Z and 260Z heads – E31 and E88). From what I understand, it had square exhaust ports and offered better airflow.

eric