Sign in to follow this  
Pennyman

Age-Old Battle! 240Z vs. 280Z

This all seems kind of strange to be at odds over. Obviously, since I notice that your'e talking about different parts of the country, the amount of S30's you would see would vary. I'm in So Cal and I see them on the roads quite often. I also see them in the junkyards. But I can't assume that the situation would be the same in New Mexico, Minnesota, Arkansas, Oregon, etc. Lots of nice examples of all of them exist out here. My 280 is in the midst of it's second life as are the majority of the Z's I see out here. But, that's out here. Each of you probably have the right assesment of the area you live in as far as S30's go.

If you go to all the junkyards all you find is 240's and 260's. Have you even ever been here Dogma 240? gre:

Out here in Norcal, I see probably 10 280z's for every 240z I see in a junkyard.

Not to mention the 280z's I see are sometimes in very good shape (sometimes even road-worthy), while the 240z I'll see will be in very bad shape.

The only difference i see between the two visually is the bumpers and turn signals/taillights. Am i missing something? What else is different between them, besides drivetrain of course?

Texas is the same, junked out 280Zs are fairly plentiful in junkyards compared to 240Zs.

I see quite a few 280Zs on the street as well (relatively), but seeing another 240Z is quite a rarity

Jayru, age means nothing.....

It's been brought up a million times, I'm not going to write about it again...but a 240s is completely different than a 280z. It attracts a completely different car person.

Besides sharing basic look of external sheet metal, not much else is an exact match.

Emissions were basically non existent on 72 and older 240zs--more power.

Less wiring, no bumper weight, weight is a lot less, so they drive completely different. Having owned a 240z, a 260z, and a 280z I can definitely say the 240z is the funnest of all of them. Less complicated is how I view em, so that's why I have one. nothing complicated like fuel injection...if I am having any mechanical issues with my rig, I can pinpoint the problem real fast.

The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride.

The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride.

Well that aughta' stir up some arguments.

Well that aughta' stir up some arguments.

Oh yes....wait for it...wait for it................tick tick tick......

I for one like the 240z just because I like the look better. I'm spoilt with the lightest Series 1. It is just the business. Nothing against the 260z, 280 or FairladyZ L20E either, I just like the 240z best that is all.

In answer to the Dagma last statement...tick...tick...tick!

"The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride."

That has got to be one of the most stupid comments made on this site. The 280Z is a first generation Z just like your 240Z. Yeah, there are some differences but it is the same body style and is just as beautiful as a 240Z IMO. The 280Z (US) began in 1975 which was 30 years ago. but yeah, we're just along for the ride. RIIIIIIGHT whatever you say man. What color is the sky in your world???? :stupid: :stupid:

"The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride."

That has got to be one of the most stupid comments made on this site.

I knew that comment would draw some flak...

Hell, the last thing I want to do is get into an argument over a stupid comment. I enjoy BS'ing with all fellow Zers on this site but as a 1st gen. 280Z owner, I just couldn't sit and let that comment slide. :mad:

Well, I hate to admit it but the first part of that statement is true. Does '240Z.org' ring a bell. But as far as being along for the ride, mabye those of you who really feel that way should have your own site. The 20 or so of you would have a great time discussing cloth braided radiator hoses, mirrors with the sun and star, and all that interesting stuff. But seriously, a lot of the 'purists' have left. Where's 2manyZs, or Zvoiture, or Frank13, or any of those 'Z-holier than thou' types. Good riddance! I really don't care what's discussed, with the possible exception of stuff like sound powered turbochargers with cold air boost or whatever that was but I have been made to feel, at times, like I don't belong here since I'd rather drive the version of the car that was the most advanced of the series rather that sinking my life savings into one that was the least advanced.

(I don't really feel that way, I love all S30 as well as many other Datsuns, but that ought to bring things to a boil!)

I agree with you steph. I am a 240 owner but so what i Like all Zs.

The 280Zx is becoming a classic Z. Why not have a forum for them?

Why not here? Enough of their parts wind up in the S30's anyway.

"I agree with you steph. I am a 240 owner but so what i Like all Zs."

Thats always been my feeling. I like them all (240, 260, 280, 280ZX ect.) Nissan has never made an ugly, slow Z I.M.O.

Yes I have and still beats the hell out of some of the crap out there on the road today. I'd take it over a focus, neon RT, cavalier ect. Not to mention like our 2 seaters, there built to last.

Blasphoemers!

the series one 240Z is the only true S30, everything else is on this earth just for fun!

I have several 280ZXGLs and on saturday I will have a 280ZXT GL 2+2.

I think of it more as transportatipon for my family to and from local Z events than classic.

Any well kept (or intentioned) S30 is a classic, but 240Zs are the height of that status.

DZR, thanks for not putting a Z in your second sentance, it does not belong in that company!

Will

I've seen some nice ones. I'll bet that kid over in Australia that used to ride the moped does a nice job on his. He left the site for a while a finished school as a mechanic, I believe, but he was a regular here a while back learning all he could about Z's so he'd be ready when he got one.